Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2022, 06:34 AM   #1
DelawareDead
Established Member

M.O.C. #28747
Glacier Vehicle Length

Good day folks,

So my wife and I have a trip planned to go to Glacier NP this summer and just found out some "interesting" news. The GTTSR has a vehicle length limit of 21' and my TV is 22' 2" in length (2017 F350 CC LB).

So my questions to those that have been to Glacier before is.......how strict are they at enforcing this??? Do they pull long bed trucks over and measure them??

I looked at renting a car while we were there and I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the prices!! Over $2300 for a compact car for 5 days!!

We have several "must" hikes that we want to do that will certainly require access to GTTSR.....Highline, Iceberg Lake.....

I see they have a shuttle service, but I tend to be a little bit of a control freak so that could be a little challenging! LOL or a great opportunity to practice patience and acceptance

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Peace

2021 High Country 331RL
2017 F-350 Lariat 6.7L CC LB
DelawareDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:32 AM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I'm 20 1/2' and nobody even looked at it even though just under the limit. I wouldn't worry about it, just ask for forgiveness if caught. You could call them and ask about it. Otherwise, taking the shuttle looks like the way to go anyway. If you drive it you'll miss most of the scenery and that's the reason for going. That road is narrow and missing oncoming trucks by inches is a common occurrence. Enjoy that trip it's a good one.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:02 AM   #3
Mlenest
Established Member

M.O.C. #25902
This last summer I took my Ford F450 on the road to the Sun with no problem
Old 02-17-2022, 12:49 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
We have taken F350 crew cab long beds on the Road to The Sun numerous times. They won't even blink at you. Be sure to get your pass in advance!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:11 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Also, the parking lots are very full so finding a place to park may be a problem when driving.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:44 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a long bed crew cab Ford. Ivy never had a problem or seen anyone else getting measured. You will have no problem. You didn’t say when you were going. The going to the sun road doesn’t open until the snow can be cleaned which isn’t usually until about the first of June. It is a must see.
Enjoy
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:38 PM   #7
DelawareDead
Established Member

M.O.C. #28747
Great to hear!! Thanks everyone, I figured we would be fine, but rather be safe than sorry.

MLH.....we will arrive July 3rd and depart July 9th, so our park days will be 4-8. From there we are heading down to Yellowstone again. Can't wait!!!

2021 High Country 331RL
Old 02-17-2022, 09:12 PM   #8
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Yet another reason I have a short bed SRW. Most national parks are notorious for narrow roads, and tight parking spaces. The length limitation is most likely to prevent your truck from obstructing the driving lane in the parking lots.
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:50 PM   #9
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I wouldn't be caught dead in Yellowstone or Glacier around the 4th. Yellowstone is a zoo anytime in the summer. Last time I was there, one of the volcanic sites on the west had the parking lot full and people were parked along the road for about 1/4 mile.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 11:40 PM   #10
Champ
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20905
I have the same truck and drove GTTSR four times in three days in the end of this past June. No problems with length and no one checking but I would suggest retracting your side mirrors because it’s very narrow in places and oncoming traffic drives near the center of the road. I also recommend going very early mornings or in the evening. One benefit of it staying light late there in the summer.

2018 Montana 3120RL
2017 Ford F-350
Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:17 AM   #11
DelawareDead
Established Member

M.O.C. #28747
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
I wouldn't be caught dead in Yellowstone or Glacier around the 4th. Yellowstone is a zoo anytime in the summer. Last time I was there, one of the volcanic sites on the west had the parking lot full and people were parked along the road for about 1/4 mile.
Yep, fully aware of the crowds. My wife is a teacher which limits us to do these longs trips from mid June to mid August since we are driving from Delaware. It is what it is when you visit these two parks. We did YNP three years ago around the same time of year and found that the major attractions (Old Faithful, Upper Falls etc) to be packed but as we got out to the hiking trails it was fine. We bring a positive attitude and expectations of crowds.

Thanks

2021 High Country 331RL
Old 02-19-2022, 06:07 AM   #12
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
If you want to learn all news on Glacier

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:27 AM   #13
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelawareDead View Post
Yep, fully aware of the crowds. My wife is a teacher which limits us to do these longs trips from mid June to mid August since we are driving from Delaware. It is what it is when you visit these two parks. We did YNP three years ago around the same time of year and found that the major attractions (Old Faithful, Upper Falls etc) to be packed but as we got out to the hiking trails it was fine. We bring a positive attitude and expectations of crowds.

Thanks

Things have change drastically in three years concerning Yellowstone . We spend six weeks every summer in Montana , not far from the Yellowstone . Years past before covid ,crowded yes . Last couple years , at least thru the west gate its unbelievable , just getting into the park . Traffic lined up thru the streets of West Yellowstone.

Hopefully they will do something ,but for the time being we will stay away from there . We visited it just once last year , which is usually all we do now anyway, we are up there for different reasons . We have been going to that area for 50 years , and have gone in the park at least once every year . From Madison to Old faithful last year it was a crawl the whole distance . We thought there had been an accident ,but all it was over crowding . Had never seen it that bad .We never go on a weekend always during the week ,but that makes no difference now .

Maybe going in thru the other gates would be better ,the west gate is the most popular ,and crowded . Last year we went out the north gate ,just to get out of the park, long ways around to get back to the Ennis, MT area, but had enough of the park at that point . Patience is required for sure in there .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:25 PM   #14
Mwutke

M.O.C. #28876
Car registration

The video one of the previous Answers says that you have to register your vehicle to be able to ride the road. I’m assuming as part of the registration you have to put in the type of vehicle and length. Something to check out anyway.
Mwutke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:29 PM   #15
Bruce in DFW
Established Member

M.O.C. #28272
Glacier NP length limit...

We went through Glacier NP in our 2019 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 in Oct 2021 and in Sept 2020. No problems getting in - but some of those corners on the Road to the Sun are tight - especially with class C's heading toward you in the other lane. I had to pull in my mirrors a few times to make sure I didn't scrape them. It's definitely easier when it's not high season.
Bruce in DFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:39 PM   #16
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I drove the GTTSR in my TV several years ago and had no problems. Just know that towing mirrors, even when not extended to the towing position exceed the max width by a few inches. There were a couple of times when faced with a large oncoming vehicle that I folded the mirrors in to the side of the truck.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:05 PM   #17
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Good day folks,

So my wife and I have a trip planned to go to Glacier NP this summer and just found out some "interesting" news. The GTTSR has a vehicle length limit of 21' and my TV is 22' 2" in length (2017 F350 CC LB).

So my questions to those that have been to Glacier before is.......how strict are they at enforcing this??? Do they pull long bed trucks over and measure them??

I looked at renting a car while we were there and I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the prices!! Over $2300 for a compact car for 5 days!!

We have several "must" hikes that we want to do that will certainly require access to GTTSR.....Highline, Iceberg Lake.....

I see they have a shuttle service, but I tend to be a little bit of a control freak so that could be a little challenging! LOL or a great opportunity to practice patience and acceptance

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Peace
As long as you don't mind the damage to the truck, go ahead. Of course if you get wedged and need an extraction and maybe tow that rental car will seem like a bargoon.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:12 PM   #18
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:

Thanks
I went in 2020. No problem with your truck but pull in your mirrors. It gets VERY tight so be ready. I saw trucks hit each others mirrors two times while going down that road. I drove myself rather than the tour bus so I could stop where and when I wanted. The tour bus drove by several places I wanted to stop at, so there is that. The traffic was slow enough that I don’t feel I missed any of the terrific views. I would go as early or late in the season as you can to avoid as much of the crowds if possible . Good you are going because it won’t be long before the glaciers are GONE. Very sad.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 03:11 PM   #19
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
I’m guessing a dually won’t cut it ?
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 03:36 PM   #20
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
I’m guessing a dually won’t cut it ?
Where mirrors are pulled in for clearance, duallys don't have that ability. Then there is the situation where the other guy can't drive so well and gives wide berth to the walls taking up room for oncoming traffic.