Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2022, 11:49 AM   #1
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Arrow Water Pipe, Tools, and Fittings

I'd read most of the threads about replacement toilets and finally purchased one, but I'm still a bit lost on the best "pipe," tools, and fittings to use moving forward. I'm certain the Monty will need more plumbing repairs in the future, and I want to fix my well and use that water for something, so I'd like to use one type of pipe, one set of tools, and one set of fittings.

Should I stick with PEX and what tools and fittings would you recommend?

I like the idea of this set, but I've only ever worked on copper.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-M...015K/202525483

TimBobUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:46 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I just use a good PEX cutter and shark bite fittings. I keep a variety of shark bites including a cap off incase I need to stop a leak and use the rest of the rig until I can get a part I don't have, like when our water pump froze. I removed the cap and replaced it with a shark bite shut off when I installed the new pump so if it ever happens again I can just shut it off.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:00 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
At first, I used the Sharkbite connectors that don't need a tool to install. Then I had a project to do a larger plumbing project, so I bought a cutter and crimp tool on Amazon, and now can do installs with the stainless steel clamps like what is installed in our trailers. You can get a cutter/crimper set here: https://www.amazon.com/iCrimp-8-inch...%2C488&sr=8-37

And Lowes carries all the pipe, fittings, and clamps for the 1/2" PEX: https://www.lowes.com/pl/Sharkbite--...ment=617162671

I have used both the brass and the poly fittings and both work well. These are photos of the crimper, pipe, and a bag of clamps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PEX crimper.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	11542   Click image for larger version

Name:	PEX pipe.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	11543   Click image for larger version

Name:	PEX clamps.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	11544  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 03:50 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I got this one when I changed the anti siphon vacuum breaker valve under the bathroom sink. I also installed shut off valves to the washer plumbing. We don't have a washer. Less to winterize.

Pex Crimping Clamp Cinch Tool Kit Sizes from 3/8" to 1" ( Meets ASTM 2098)--PEX Cinch Fastening Tool, Pipe/Tubing Cutter, Stainless Steel Clamps 20pcs 1/2", 10 pcs 3/4" Clamps With Canvas Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C37HFFL...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 09:07 AM   #5
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
At first, I used the Sharkbite connectors that don't need a tool to install. Then I had a project to do a larger plumbing project, so I bought a cutter and crimp tool on Amazon, and now can do installs with the stainless steel clamps like what is installed in our trailers. You can get a cutter/crimper set here: https://www.amazon.com/iCrimp-8-inch...%2C488&sr=8-37

And Lowes carries all the pipe, fittings, and clamps for the 1/2" PEX: https://www.lowes.com/pl/Sharkbite--...ment=617162671

I have used both the brass and the poly fittings and both work well. These are photos of the crimper, pipe, and a bag of clamps.
Had to do a little plumping on my fifth wheel this past fall, bought a similar kit from Amazon ,came with everything including the stainless clamps . Bought a couple of 2' pex pipes red ,and blue for the project at home depot .

Sharkbite if I remember when looking at the parts etc ,it was a lot more expensive then what I did.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:11 PM   #6
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
including a cap off in case I need to stop a leak and use the rest of the rig until I can get a part I don't have, like when our water pump froze.
Thanks, and that's a great idea to keep caps on hand, which I hadn't thought of. I'll also be completing the change from the horrible pivot door to a normal swing.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:16 PM   #7
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
You can get a cutter/crimper set here: https://www.amazon.com/iCrimp-8-inch...%2C488&sr=8-37

I have used both the brass and the poly fittings and both work well.
Thanks for the advice, and the links and pics. I'll stick with PEX for the RV and now that I know brass and poly fittings are okay, I'll use PEX for the well too.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:23 PM   #8
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
I got this one when I changed the anti-siphon vacuum breaker valve under the bathroom sink. I also installed shut off valves to the washer plumbing. We don't have a washer. Less to winterize.

Pex Crimping Clamp Cinch Tool Kit Sizes from 3/8" to 1" (Meets ASTM 2098)--PEX Cinch Fastening Tool, Pipe/Tubing Cutter, Stainless Steel Clamps 20pcs 1/2", 10 pcs 3/4" Clamps With Canvas Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C37HFFL...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the advice and link. I hadn't thought about shut-off valves on the washer plumbing, but I might as well do that while I've got the water off.

I'm a little jealous of your "F350 Lariat." I had an '06 Lariat that had too much rust damage, so she couldn't pull anymore, and I went with an XLT.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:25 PM   #9
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Thanks! PEX and SharkBite seem to be the consensus, so I'll stick with those and come back for more help, when I screw it up.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:40 PM   #10
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
There are 2 different types of PEX clamps. The crimp ring and the cinch clamp. The tool you listed in your post is for the the crimp ring. The crimp ring is a made of copper. The tool goes completely around the ring and you squeeze/crimp the ring on. The cinch clamp is made of stainless steel and uses the tool that rohrmann posted. The tool squeezes/ crimps the clamp from the side which tighten the clamp around the pipe.

I use the cinch clamps because I like that they are made of stainless steel and crimping from the side and not having to get the tool around the whole clamp lets me get into tighter places. I also use the brass fitting not the poly. It personal preference.

I've been using the ratcheting cinch clamp tool, like the one rohrmann, posted for a while. It works great but you need 2 hands to use it and it can be hard some times. Depending on the job and the position. You need one hand to hold the fitting and pipe to make sure the clamp is in the right position, 1/8-1/4" from the end of the PEX tube, and trying to crimp it is hard.
For that reason I just purchased Ryobi's Power PEX cinch clamp tool. I also purchased a battery adapter so I can use my DeWalt 20V Max batteries in it. The tool works great and you only need one hand to operate it. It is well built and it does have some weight to it.

Go to YouTube, there are a lot of videos explaining the all different PEX pipes, clamps and tools.

I got my tool and battery adapter from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-18-Volt...dp/B07Q84MZNT/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V7BNGPY...roduct_details
Old 03-31-2022, 04:24 AM   #11
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
One thing not mentioned is a tool to remove the shark bite fittings for PEX. If you decide to use shark bite fittings, which are quite expensive, and ever need to remove one without cutting the PEX, these little things are invaluable. Less than $10.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ool/1000182539
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:09 AM   #12
jbailey24
Established Member

M.O.C. #13773
Shark it's fittings

After 7 years full time, the wife decided that sitting during COVID was ��. We ended up buying an older Double wide at Lake Gaston NC. Old grey pipes,no cutoffs. Sharkbite fixed that with no other adapters needed. Now I have standard steels hoses on toilets, sinks and showers. Then I thought, why not the RV?? That led me to the kitchen and bath in the RV (2012 3700RL) Added cut offs to sinks for faucet replacements,filter changes, etc. Added standard hoses for the connections. Also added cut off for shower and washer underneath. Prices a touch high, ease install when you're twisted upside down and sideways,priceless.
jbailey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:25 PM   #13
TimBobUSA
Established Member

M.O.C. #19939
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxDually View Post
I use the cinch clamps because I like that they are made of stainless steel and crimping from the side and not having to get the tool around the whole clamp lets me get into tighter places. I also use the brass fitting not the poly. It personal preference.

I've been using the ratcheting cinch clamp tool, like the one rohrmann, posted for a while. It works great but you need 2 hands to use it and it can be hard some times. Depending on the job and the position. You need one hand to hold the fitting and pipe to make sure the clamp is in the right position, 1/8-1/4" from the end of the PEX tube, and trying to crimp it is hard.
That's an important clarification. Thanks!

I may look at the Ryobi, if plan to do more work with PEX. I'm heavily invested in DeWalt, but their solution seems to be cost prohibitive.

Tags
fittings, pex, pipe, plumbing, tools