Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2022, 03:01 PM   #1
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Someone hit my trailer!

Parked in an RV park somebody’s rear swung wide and scrapped the front of my High Country. Scrapped the decal and some down to the raw fiberglass. How can I fix this? I’ve never had body damage before,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A75E34AE-EDB4-4869-86EC-966B901FEFAC.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	12143   Click image for larger version

Name:	8B376DBE-DCD0-4777-A17A-8079D26071F7.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	12144  

Old 06-06-2022, 07:24 PM   #2
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
That stinks! I would say your best bet would be to a local auto body repair facility. Any reputable one should be able to handle the damage. Good luck!
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:46 PM   #3
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Personally, if any fiberglass or gelcoat work take it to a boat repair facility. There is a mobile guy in my area that would smile at that little job and have it good as new. A good boat repair will have a perfect color match as they will mix by hand until they get it right. I’ve seen old boat repairs that have been in the sun for years and still can’t tell the repair
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:52 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Shortly after we purchased our Montana the overhang made contact with the bed rails of the pick-up truck and cracked the nose cap. Fortunate, the crack did not break completely through the fiberglass. I fixed it myself by using a Bondo Fiberglass repair kit. I followed the directions, lots of sanding. I was able to seal the crack up, but the paint match was a different matter.

The bottom line is, I never found a paint that would match the base color of the trailer, so I had to improvise with a color that didn't seem too far out of place and trimmed it in a uniform way so it looked like part of the original paint pattern. Unless one looked very, very close, you'll never detect or spot where the damage was.

Bottom line? You will never match the paint or the shine of the existing paint. You have 3 choices: 1) leave it as is and live with the scar. 2) patch it and paint it and trim it so it looks like it's part of the original design, but really is not. 3) have the damaged area fixed professionally and then the entire front cap repainted so everything matches exactly.

Just curious? If your trailer was clipped by another trailer in transit, did you get insurance information? Quite obvious they were at fault since you were parked and their insurance should pay for it. In which case, have it done professionally.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:26 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Did they stop? And did they have insurance? Sounds like no.

I did major damage to my own due to tailswing and a steel column. Found a local independent RV shop that specialized in RV repair, restoration, and upgrades. And had expertise in fiberglass repair. And a lot of very good google reviews. Did a great job on mine. That’s one option. Otherwise a boat repair place as mentioned above.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:45 AM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Do you know who did it? Otherwise, if you had someone parked next to you then left, I would go to the office and ask them to contact that person. Whoever hit it may not even know they did it. Until the see their unit. Ditto on the marine repair shop.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:40 AM   #7
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Again, a specialty and independent RV body shop or a boat repair shop will be your best bet. Your local RV dealer will probably farm it out anyhow to someone who specializes in this kind of work. This is seldom a DIY kind of repair and I suspect your insurance will pay most of the costs if the 'guilty' party did not come forward
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:42 AM   #8
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Did they stop? And did they have insurance? Sounds like no.

I did major damage to my own due to tailswing and a steel column. Found a local independent RV shop that specialized in RV repair, restoration, and upgrades. And had expertise in fiberglass repair. And a lot of very good google reviews. Did a great job on mine. That’s one option. Otherwise a boat repair place as mentioned above.
Thanks all! They did not take responsibility. We didn’t even know (we were out at the time) until a nice family knocked on our door the next evening. They saw and heard(!) it and said the perps would definitely have known at the time. They gave me the site and plate info but the offenders had already left. The office gave me the name and number of the occupants but the number went to someone else who said they have never been to UT. I need to make sure the office gave me the right number they had and then call my insurance company. Even though I have their plate I suspect I’ll never find them and if I did they would deny. BTW, I saw them at their site before I was notified. They were so unlevel they couldn’t even put their slides out!
Old 06-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #9
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
years ago, i had a self inflicted side damage, hit neighbors awning in a very tight site, why they had their awning out is beyond me, anyway, I bought a fiberglass repair kit, plenty of sanding...couldn't match the paint but a large american flag sticker covered it up nice and looked good, don't think that is an option for OP

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:57 AM   #10
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
File a hit & run report, and turn it over to your insurance. Officers should be able to track down the owner of the rig if they have a good plate, as long as it wasn't a stolen rig or was cold plated with somebody else's plate. I know State Farm does not make you pay your deductible in a hit & run. As for the fix, it might entail a repaint on the front cap. Sorry you're having to go through this.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:21 AM   #11
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Sorry you are going through this. Let us know how you come out. Agreed that a specialty and independent RV body shop or a boat repair shop would be best bet. Definitely not a dealer since I can't imagine them not having to farm out the work to someone else anyway. Hope your insurance company tracks down the hit-n-run folks. My conscience just wouldn't let me do such a thing to someone else's property.... Good luck.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:24 AM   #12
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I had a similar incident by a neighbor in my storage facility. Guy was pretty new to towing and didn't realize the swing of his unit when exiting. Looked more serious than it turned out to be. The marks left on mine was paint off his rig. Most of the marks came out with some rubbing compound.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:59 AM   #13
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
You may not wish to do this repair yourself, but I have repaired two small holes (two different incidents, two different times of repair) on the cap of my fiberglass trailer. I bought the "raw materials" online from a boat supply company: fiberglass mat, reisen, hardener, etc. Since my RV is NOT painted I finished it off with proper color of gel coat. I am NOT a professional by any means and I am near 90 years old. YouTube is a good instructor and guide. Since your trailer seems to be painted, you could do the base repair and have the painting done professionally. I am pleased with both my repairs--both were actual holes, small and through the cap.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:38 PM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by padredw View Post
….
I bought the "raw materials" online from a boat supply company: fiberglass mat, reisen, hardener, etc. Since my RV is NOT painted I finished it off with proper color of gel coat. I am NOT a professional by any means and I am near 90 years old. ……..
I want to grow up to be just like padredw!
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:47 PM   #15
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I want to grow up to be just like padredw!
Amen BB_TX! I just hope I'm able to FIND my fiver when I'm 90 years old!
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote