Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2022, 08:00 PM   #1
SforB
Established Member

M.O.C. #31171
Questions! Ceiling fan, storage door struts, etc

My mom just purchased a 2022 3813ms and these are issues that have come up for her. She is less than 5 feet tall and this is all specific to her lack of height.

1. Is there, or can there be a remote for the ceiling fan? She can't reach the control in the monitor panel.

2. Can struts be attached to hold up the main storage compartment door like on the other side? She can't reach the locking mechanism that holds the door up.

3. We are going to have to modify the bathroom sink for her and install a drop in sink (it is currently a vessel sink and is incredibly high, on top of the higher than usual counter). Has anyone ever cut through the corian? countertops and had a problem?

4. For whatever odd reason, the lights above the dining room table do not operate with a wall switch. Not sure why, everything else runs on switch or motion sensor. Can they be modified in some way? either to attach to an existing switch? Again, she can't reach them.

This 5th wheel was obviously designed/made NOT for an elf.

Thank you for any comments and advice.

SforB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:00 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
1.Maybe long chain operated switch for the ceiling fan.
2.Here is links for brackets and the gas struts for the baggage door (these are from a 2012 Montana but should work):
https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...23+%2F+Keyword
https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...23+%2F+Keyword
3.Maybe a step stool for accessing the sink.
4.When you are looking for a chain switch for the ceiling fan, get one for the light fixture above the dining table.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:24 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The chain on my fan is trouble. It hangs down and works fine - but EVERYTIME in transit the thing bounces and wraps around the blades and I have to get up there and untwist and unwind it before I turn the fan on. If you guys are going to be stationary most of the time and not traveling - adding length to the chain will help.

I think the fans on the newer units (newer than my 2018) are 12 volt. Mine is 120 volt with a big-ole switch in the control cabinet, which is nice and would have solved your problem.

I have seen other threads here about some of the lights in the newer units that have sort of a push button in the middle of the lens cover. I have not seen or touched one myself, and I don’t know if the push button exists on the dining table lights. If this is the case then the light might not be working with the wall switch because the fixture switch is off at the push button. Someone with a new unit like yours will be able to help you better than me.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:17 AM   #4
Russ&Reen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21546
Ours is a 2019, so I can't address the fan issues, they changed those in the newer models.

3. Yes, you can cut the corian. We changed out our cooktop and needed to deepen the hole. It cuts easily, just tape it off so it doesn't chip.

4. Our lights over the table are controlled by a switch at the end of the slide, next to the theater seats.

We keep a folding 2 step stool at the end of the counter by the door. I've 5'2, and a step stool is a need multiple times a day.
Russ&Reen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:01 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My wife has some of the same problems and uses a folding step stool. Here is one example: https://www.amazon.com/Topfun-Foldin...1&sr=8-20&th=1
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:18 PM   #6
SforB
Established Member

M.O.C. #31171
Sorry for the delayed response. My mom fell off her hallway bottom stair and smacked herself in the head. She is all better now. Anyway, in response to your advice regarding her height challenged predicaments.... She is 90 and apparently can't navigate a small stair so no more ladders and step stools for her.

We did find out the sink is not corian, it's formica (but the kitchen sink is corian) Not happy about that but it can be fixed to accommodate a drop-in.

There is no pull chain on the fan, looking to see if we can get a remote unit to fit inside or work with the remoteness in the control panel.

As for the stupid lights above the DR table, yes, they are the push in the middle type. Which is mind-boggling because every other light is either motion sensor or switch. I'm assuming we could change out the fixtures like in a regular house?

Anyway, thank you all again for your thoughts. Wait til you hear about the AC units. Sad to say, but when she turns 95 and wants another 5th wheel, it won't be a Keystone from that dealer. :]
Old 07-06-2022, 04:46 AM   #7
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Amazon has 12v wireless dimmer switches which you install and control the lights above the DR table. I found these when searching for a dimmer switch some time ago. Might be an easier fix.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=12v+wirel..._ts-doa-p_2_17
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:30 AM   #8
SforB
Established Member

M.O.C. #31171
Thank you!!!!!