Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2023, 08:37 AM   #1
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
Gas Furnace Whoa's

I read most of the posts on this subject still a no go blower coming on fo 20 to 30 seconds then shuts off, changed the sail switch same thing still no heat is there anything else I could try without going to far down the rabbit hole.

2021 montana 3781

Wellplayedsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 09:35 AM   #2
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
i believe there are numerous posts about this self setting fuse. worth a try checking it out if you do have this resetting fuse. my son has a keystone cougar and had this problem, the dealer gave him a regular fuse to replace it.

The black furnace fuse is a self resetting relay as stated in previous reply. You can search this site and find multiple post on the problem you are having. Solution is to replace with a standard 15amp fuse.
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 10:15 AM   #3
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellplayedsir View Post
I read most of the posts on this subject still a no go blower coming on fo 20 to 30 seconds then shuts off, changed the sail switch same thing still no heat is there anything else I could try without going to far down the rabbit hole.

2021 montana 3781
I been having same problems. You all ready changed the sail switch. Check the fuse if it is a black fuse change it out to a regular fuse. If that doesn’t work check the squirrel cage. Remove the sail switch turn the cage by hand looking for broken fins. Mine had several they replaced it. After replacing it, it now will run for 20-25 minutes.

Good luck I still don’t have heat. Have replaced sail switch, squirrel cage, converter and thermostat. I have talked with a keystone technician he said check the motor listen for any noise and see if it’s getting hot. If so then it is going bad. That is my next step. Seems the motor has to spin fast enough to keep the sail switch closed to keep the heat running.
Please keep us updated as to what you find out is the problem as I will do you the same. Have another technician coming out after the holidays.
2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 10:48 AM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I assume you have exterior access to your furnace? That makes troubleshooting a lot easier. I'm also assuming that you've checked the fuse by now and made sure you have a standard blue 15a fuse installed.

If you have a multimeter you might check the sail switch before and during operation to make sure that it's actually closing. If the squirrel cage fan has broken fins there might not be adequate air movement to close that switch...worth checking before digging deeper.

If it is closing but not attempting to spark then I would suspect the main control board.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 12:09 PM   #5
Bladescb
Established Member

M.O.C. #29195
We went through heating issues last year. It turned out to be the circuit board behind the panel that covers the heater on the outside. The circuit board was corroded on the edge of the circuit board causing the solder traces to make contact with each other. I tried cleaning it but it was to far gone. Ordered a new one and it was the fix, Heat working again. The electric fireplace in the front living room doesn't exactly heat a 40' trailer very well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221224_092529.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	16175   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221224_094103.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	16176  

2016 Montana 3710FL
2018 Ford F350 SRW
Bladescb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 12:43 PM   #6
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
Changed over the fuses "there were 2 so I changed both" and checked they ohms on the new switch that is good "so was they old one" local place can't make a service call for another week it has already been two.
Old 12-28-2023, 12:57 PM   #7
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Changed over the fuses "there were 2 so I changed both" and checked they ohms on the new switch that is good "so was they old one" local place can't make a service call for another week it has already been two.
I'm banking on the control board. You can get one on Amazon. If you have the manual for the furnace that came with your trailer you can go to the back where all the parts are listed. Find the model number of your furnace and you'll find the part number for your control board. Control boards will work on many different models so it should be easy to identify.

If you can I'd get the Dinosaur brand replacement board.
Old 12-28-2023, 01:32 PM   #8
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
control board showing up on saturday will follow up

dinasaur #Fan 50 plus pins $100 amazon
Old 12-28-2023, 01:54 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I am sure that you checked the igniter screw. On mine, we checked sail switch, had the new fuse in replaced board, valve and the tech was putting it back together when he found the igniter screw was stripped. Larger screw and it took off like a champ. The igniter screw is the ground for the system. I had Keystone look at it and also talked to Dometic. Out west, they all blame it on altitude. Simple screw that was never checked. Has not missed since. It only takes a second to check that screw.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 08:21 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
You might have an excess amount of dust build up on the blower fan causing it to run slow, which will not allow enough air movement over the sail switch, thus causing the shut down.

Get a can of compressed air and blow everything around the fan and motor and make sure nothing is dragging it down. It takes only a tiny bit of collected dust, or a single hair to get would around and cause things to run slower. Blow everything out real good. It's a simple start that doesn't cost anything except some time and a can of compressed air. (or if you have an air compressor, use that... cost is then nothing).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 08:33 AM   #11
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
Hi thanks to all that have replied, actually there is a little opening where the sail switch is
and you can the blade, I had my wife turn the heat on while I stood in front of the furnace and could see the blade move. That area is vry clean and free from dust and debris.
Old 12-30-2023, 10:26 AM   #12
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
Is there a good youtube on how access or change the control board I could not find any. It's a Dometic
Old 12-30-2023, 10:39 AM   #13
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Is there a good youtube on how access or change the control board I could not find any. It's a Dometic
With exterior access it's actually very simple. Pull off the exterior access cover and you'll see the control board. It's easy to remove from its cradle. Then simply start transferring the various wired connections from the old to the new and put it all back together.

Make sure the switch is off (or disconnect all power to the trailer) before working on it. Then make sure it's all back on when you're finished.

Added: It's a good idea to take a few pictures of the current board as reference for how it's installed and where all the wires are connected BEFORE taking it all apart.
Old 12-30-2023, 10:42 AM   #14
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
https://www.google.com/search?sca_es...niqYY-Ohc,st:0
Old 12-30-2023, 11:47 AM   #15
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
Thanks, my pc board is facing the front of the rv when I take the cover off, it has pins instead of screws so maybe that will help.

My furnace and fireplace both pooped out on me the same day while we are having a cold spell here in the Sunshine state.

Happy Newyears fellow MOG's
Old 12-30-2023, 04:41 PM   #16
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I saw this very handy troubleshooting chart. It's pretty much a summary of the Furnace service manual troubleshooting chapter in the files section.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV Furnace Troubleshooting flowchart.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	16202  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 06:01 PM   #17
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Quote:
Thanks, my pc board is facing the front of the rv when I take the cover off, it has pins instead of screws so maybe that will help.

My furnace and fireplace both pooped out on me the same day while we are having a cold spell here in the Sunshine state.

Happy Newyears fellow MOG's
When I ordered the Dinosaur board it came with brass grommets in the mounting holes that act like feet for applications where it attaches horizontally to the furnace floor to hold it up off of any moisture that might get into that area. Don’t know if yours will be like that. In order for the plastic pins of the holder to fit through the holes, you have to carefully ream those grommets to remove the knurled part so you can push them out. I used an appropriate sized drill bit. Just an fyi that you may have to do that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4151.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	16203  
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 06:09 PM   #18
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandK View Post
When I ordered the Dinosaur board it came with brass grommets in the mounting holes that act like feet for applications where it attaches horizontally to the furnace floor to hold it up off of any moisture that might get into that area. In order for the plastic pins of the holder to fit through the holes, you have to carefully ream those grommets to remove the knurled part so you can push them out. I used an appropriate sized drill bit.
Yeah, same here. It's pretty easy, though, to pinch them out of the holes so it will fit.
Old 12-31-2023, 08:01 AM   #19
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Quote:

2021 montana 3781
Always check the exhaust pipe first with a flashlight for dirt dobber nest, disassembled. If there is not enough airflow it will run and shut off, been there done that more than once.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:28 AM   #20
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
A Dinosaur fixed it, heat is not over rated thanks fellow MOA's.