Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2023, 07:09 AM   #1
BHammer@54

M.O.C. #33686
Head bangers

We have a 2018 Montana 3791RD which is a upper rear den with 2 fold out couch beds. When these slides are out there is a decorative piece on the overhead frame on both sides and depending on your heighth is quite a head banger🤕 and has sharp corners. Any idea how to fix without removing or damaging it? Pictures would or may help.

FYI, also had another head banger on the upper cabinet door for the light switches and slides, etc. This we were able to resolve by installing an small angle plate so when we would open the top door it also opened the bottom door. Bottom door works on its own if you want to only open it. No more head banging going up the stairs for me.😊

BHammer@54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 09:26 AM   #2
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
That sounds like a good solution to your cabinet door problem. I wish I could figure out a way to open the cabinet door above the built-in dresser in my bedroom--without forgetting I've opened it --and then turning around and running my head right into it!

For the decorative pieces on the overhead frames problem, I would suggest putting some 3M Command brand adhesive, no-damage hooks on the frames, and then using those hooks to hold some cushioning in place over the decorative pieces.

The cushioning could be a sock or a rolled-up T-shirt, cardboard, a piece of styrofoam, or anything else you can think of. Run a piece of string through the cushioning at each end, tie the ends of the strings to form loops, then hang the loops (and the cushioning) from the hooks. You can make the fix look nice by covering the cushioning with a nice piece of fabric in the same way.

Or at least that's what I've been considering doing, to cushion the slide frame above my bed! I conk my head on it every other week.

I've successfully attached pillows to the bedroom ceiling before, using embroidery floss to form string loops through the edges of the pillows, then hanging those loops from adhesive hooks. The pillows stayed up there pretty well until I took them down on purpose to bring in the slides. (I put the pillows on the ceiling to reduce rain noise in the bedroom.)
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 10:28 AM   #3
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
p.s. I've found that electrical tape sticks well to RV walls, and can be removed without damaging them. There's white electrical tape that looks nice, so if the cushioning is light enough, you (or I) might try using electrical tape instead of hooks.
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 06:23 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I'm having a hard time visioning exactly how you have a "head banger". But a simple attention getter would be to simply tape a length of knitting thread from the corners and let it dangle long enough, that even if you are looking down and not up, you'll see the thread and remember to stay clear of it.

I do the same thing with the slide outs and pool noodles. I cut the pool noodle long ways, then it slips over the edge of the slide out. Most folks put the pool noodles horizontal on the bottom. I put them vertical on the edge and let them hang down and extra 5 or 6 inches. This way, I can see them when not looking up, and if it do hit one with my head, it's soft.

I also have a wrap I put around the hitch king pin too. I've never banged into it, but my 9 years old grand son did once and really put a knot on the top of his head. Ever since, I've been wrapping it.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:55 AM   #5
BHammer@54

M.O.C. #33686
Outside I do those things also except not as long as you show in the picture. Inside I thought of doing a hanging thing but when sitting on the couch and getting up you would not see these unless they hung down really low. Thanks for your suggestions though. Anything is appreciated for idea's.
BHammer@54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 01:34 PM   #6
Moondragon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25935
Split foam pool noodles for the head bangers. Foam winter hose bib cover for the king pin. Just remember to remove the noodles BEFORE bringing the slide in.
2014 RAM 2500HD SLT LB 4x4 6.4L SRW
Moondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 08:09 PM   #7
Chris23611

M.O.C. #21540
The upper cabinet door in the hall with the controls I just removed it got tired of hitting my head on it
Chris23611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 09:43 AM   #8
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
Ever hit your head or back on this corner?this works pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230503_172252.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	16214  
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 03:54 AM   #9
BHammer@54

M.O.C. #33686
That's not a bad idea either.

Thanks