Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #1
raycriuiser

M.O.C. #28102
Angry New 3790 RL many issues on delivery

Ordered a Montana 3790 RL in Feb just had it delivered last Fri the dealer told me that they did a complete PDI on the unit. After looking the unit over there are some issues first the front door would not open the plastic latch on the door frame was hitting the screen door frame and the main door would snap away from the screen door. The TV scan didn't pick up any channels pulled the key tv box from the wall and all the coax cables were loose I tighten them all up and tv issue fixed. One of the the bedroom drawers won't close all the way problem with the soft close slide. Pantry door has a problem closing the screws in the hinges were installed crooked sticking out hitting the hinges. Vent cover on the outside for the stove looks like it was left in the sun for ten years warped real bad. Numerous scratches in the wood trim. Door next to the stove has chips and nicks on it. Led lights on front cap allready coming loose . And four of the baggage doors under the rear slides have a issue with the strut mounts not allowing the doors to open all the way and if you force them the struts will rub against the door frame causing the door to bind . Is this normal ? This what I have found so far.Come on Montana where is the quality control out of the factory

raycriuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:17 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
JJ,

Welcome to the forum!

Typically the owner does the PDI with the dealer before accepting or paying for it. Sounds like you missed a step. All is still fixable but will likely take more time than if they had to get it done to complete the delivery.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:47 PM   #3
Yoquedo
Established Member

M.O.C. #21234
Where did you buy your Montana? I'm not sure I would take it back there for repairs.
Yoquedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:45 AM   #4
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Welcome to the forum. Trailers leave the factory in horrible condition. Some dealers spend the time to fix them up, some do less. I have found the best thing to do is fix it yourself. You will likely do better work and save yourself a lot of frustration dealing with idiots at a dealership. No, it isn't right that you should have to bring the trailer up to spec but Keystone has been getting away with it for so long it is now normal for them. Consider yourself fortunate if the issues are small.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:06 AM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
A dealer should never be trusted when it comes to PSI. Buyer should do it and not let anyone rush you and when satisfied then pay. I bought 3 new Montanas from one dealer and they never ask for any payment until I was satisfied not even a deposit.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:56 AM   #6
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
When the dealer says they did a PDI all it means is that the trailer arrived without obvious damage.
All of the things you found at delivery PDI are not covered in the dealer PDI and are "normal" things found at customer delivery PDI. The manufacturer does not pay the dealer for enough for a through inspection when the units arrive on the lot. The dealers may get 30 minutes of paid time to inspect each trailer, that's it. There is no way everything can be found.
It's up the customer to find these things either at PDI or during the first year. Hence the first year warranty.
Unfortunately this is normal in the RV industry. If you buy a new house you find things that need fixing over the first year or two, same here.
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:13 AM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Is this normal?
Yep pretty normal.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:31 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
New owners need to do a comprehensive PDI and refuse delivery until all is fixed. If new to RVing, hire someone to do it for you.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:57 PM   #9
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Sad to say it is “the normal” but the truth is that there is really not any other brands that are pushing the quality aspect of Montana. In my opinion it is where we were in the seventies with the big three (not much in the way of quality) until the Japanese cars forced them to start building quality if they wanted to stay in business. Right now you just hope that you get one of the weeks better built units.

Tom Marty
Old 05-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #10
Bill Austin
Established Member

M.O.C. #28613
This is disheartening to see! Waiting for delivery in late July. Hope it makes it by then, but do want it to be in "new" condition.
We have moved since ordering and made arrangements to have the unit delivered to a dealer nearer to where we live now. Is this a mistake since the nearer dealer didn't get the sale too?
Thoughts?
Est Deliveries: Trailer August & Truck October 2021
Bill Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:21 PM   #11
John and Barbara
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23309
The only good thing about the Montana is the owners. The folks in this club know more than anyone at the dealers or the factory. Fix the problems yourself and hope that customer service will listen. They don't listen to me.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:24 PM   #12
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Austin View Post
This is disheartening to see! Waiting for delivery in late July. Hope it makes it by then, but do want it to be in "new" condition.
We have moved since ordering and made arrangements to have the unit delivered to a dealer nearer to where we live now. Is this a mistake since the nearer dealer didn't get the sale too?
Thoughts?
Bill,

I would continue with the dealer you started with. A good PDI completed by you is important to get things sorted out before you pay for it and take delivery.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:56 PM   #13
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
AZ Traveler has it right!! A good dealer will do a proper PDI inspection BEFORE the trailer is delivered and do a complete PDI inspection with the BUYER prior to the trailer leaving their lot. This avoids scheduling warranty service. On our 3rd fifth wheel trailer and no issues with lack of a good dealer PDI. On my first trailer purchase the dealer's technician rode with me through the streets Sacramento, CA so I could get the feel of how it tracked around corners, down the street, braked, etc. before I towed it home.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:42 PM   #14
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Austin View Post
......We have moved since ordering and made arrangements to have the unit delivered to a dealer nearer to where we live now. Is this a mistake since the nearer dealer didn't get the sale too? Thoughts?
Unless you agreed to pay for a different delivery location, I suspect the delivery dealer will be compensated by the other dealer. I would still insist on doing my own 3-hour minimum PDI, and repairs completed, before signing for the unit.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:23 PM   #15
Bill Austin
Established Member

M.O.C. #28613
Thanks everyone. Rethinking my delivery choice. I may drive down to the original dealer and have this discussion in person.
Est Deliveries: Trailer August & Truck October 2021
Bill Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:53 PM   #16
Hit The Road
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27454
Our 2021 3121RL came with a few problems:
1. 50" tv scratched during transport. The retaining strap buckle rubbed against the screen.
2. Shattered recliner frame.
3. 2 large dents in the residential fridge door.

I have already fixed some molding that was loose. Our unit is about 6 weeks old. We can't get into the dealer until July 15th, and that's the dealer we purchased it from! I just want the parts exchanged. Long story short, get some tools and learn to get handy!
Hit The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:29 AM   #17
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
3790RD Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycriuiser View Post
Ordered a Montana 3790 RL in Feb just had it delivered last Fri the dealer told me that they did a complete PDI on the unit. After looking the unit over there are some issues first the front door would not open the plastic latch on the door frame was hitting the screen door frame and the main door would snap away from the screen door. The TV scan didn't pick up any channels pulled the key tv box from the wall and all the coax cables were loose I tighten them all up and tv issue fixed. One of the the bedroom drawers won't close all the way problem with the soft close slide. Pantry door has a problem closing the screws in the hinges were installed crooked sticking out hitting the hinges. Vent cover on the outside for the stove looks like it was left in the sun for ten years warped real bad. Numerous scratches in the wood trim. Door next to the stove has chips and nicks on it. Led lights on front cap allready coming loose . And four of the baggage doors under the rear slides have a issue with the strut mounts not allowing the doors to open all the way and if you force them the struts will rub against the door frame causing the door to bind . Is this normal ? This what I have found so far.Come on Montana where is the quality control out of the factory
Welcome to the group. I'm sorry these issue were on your new Montana.

I work for Montana. Will you provide me the last eight digits of your vin number and the selling dealership? This will allow me to note your issues in Keystone's Service system. I will also be able to track the build date and address the issues with our production group. You can post that information here, or send it to me in a Private message.

Again, I am sorry about your issues. This is not how we want your new unit experience to start.

Thanks
Sam Lengerich
Old 05-24-2021, 06:55 AM   #18
Amtracker
Established Member

M.O.C. #27726
Your not alone

Sam,
I’m not sure where you are in the Keystone leadership chain however, this complaint is normal for the new Montana owners. I purchased a 2020 (3791RD) and it was loaded with issues. I expressed my frustration with the unit (like many others) on this site. I wrote a letter to Keystone with my issues with recommendations and never received a reply. Many owners blame the dealerships for being slow or not competent to repair their problems. Many owners do not realize the dealerships must obtain authorization from Keystone to correct an issue before performing the work. Parts are slow to arrive at the dealership for repair. Most dealerships are so backed up because they are attempting to service warranty and other issues for their customers. The lack of Keystone’s quality and authorization requirements is (in my opinion) a major driver to their backup issues. I have no ties to any dealership. I purchased my RV in Schererville, IN and I live in Virginia. This dealership has bent over backward to provide me with advice and great service.
I have spoken to several seasoned RV owners and many have told me “if you are going to own an RV you need to have a technical ability or lots of money”.
I agree with the writer (Dam Worker) above. RVs are in high demand at this time which means more and more RV owners are going to post and talk about the industry's lack of quality inspections. I believe the RV industry will only change when their profits fall. Someday there will come a time when an RV CEO realizes that this is an issue and puts in place a business plan that makes his/her company’s Quality as their priority.
The only advice I can provide to Ray Criuiser is, you’re not in this boat alone. Learn as much as you can and perform the repairs yourself. Treat your dealership with respect and they will help you solve problems because your efforts will keep problems from coming through their door and the time, they invest with all the needless procedures forced on them by manufacturers. Finely there is more experience on this site than anywhere else. There is nothing that I have found that someone on this site has not had and corrected. Good Luck with your RV.
Amtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:39 AM   #19
Glades
Established Member

M.O.C. #26789
Loving our ‘20 3780RL. Sure, it had a couple of minor issues but our dealer Sicard RV in Ontario, Canada dealt with them quickly. This is our second Keystone bought new from this dealer and the previous was never in the shop.
Glades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:26 AM   #20
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtracker View Post
Sam,
I’m not sure where you are in the Keystone leadership chain however, this complaint is normal for the new Montana owners. I purchased a 2020 (3791RD) and it was loaded with issues. I expressed my frustration with the unit (like many others) on this site. I wrote a letter to Keystone with my issues with recommendations and never received a reply. Many owners blame the dealerships for being slow or not competent to repair their problems. Many owners do not realize the dealerships must obtain authorization from Keystone to correct an issue before performing the work. Parts are slow to arrive at the dealership for repair. Most dealerships are so backed up because they are attempting to service warranty and other issues for their customers. The lack of Keystone’s quality and authorization requirements is (in my opinion) a major driver to their backup issues. I have no ties to any dealership. I purchased my RV in Schererville, IN and I live in Virginia. This dealership has bent over backward to provide me with advice and great service.
I have spoken to several seasoned RV owners and many have told me “if you are going to own an RV you need to have a technical ability or lots of money”.
I agree with the writer (Dam Worker) above. RVs are in high demand at this time which means more and more RV owners are going to post and talk about the industry's lack of quality inspections. I believe the RV industry will only change when their profits fall. Someday there will come a time when an RV CEO realizes that this is an issue and puts in place a business plan that makes his/her company’s Quality as their priority.
The only advice I can provide to Ray Criuiser is, you’re not in this boat alone. Learn as much as you can and perform the repairs yourself. Treat your dealership with respect and they will help you solve problems because your efforts will keep problems from coming through their door and the time, they invest with all the needless procedures forced on them by manufacturers. Finely there is more experience on this site than anywhere else. There is nothing that I have found that someone on this site has not had and corrected. Good Luck with your RV.
Dear Amtracker,

I'm sorry you didn't get a response to your letter. Let me know who's attention you addressed it to and I will touch base with them. I'm assuming you didn't send an important letter like that to a general address.

My position at Keystone is Montana brand Product Manager.

WE make no excuses for quality issues. Quality is a culture. WE work everyday to instill this culture. It is a challenge to accomplish this with the revolving door of employees. This is the root cause of the industries issues. What other finished product for all companies gets built in a two county area? And relies on the same workforce. But none of these are excuses. They are our challenges.

WE discuss every week that every single warranty item for the Montana owner is a hassle. WE want to eliminate those hassles. And to do this we might need to be a simpler RV.

I'm sorry your Montana had issues. None of it was intentional. I wish you safe travels.

WE at Montana strive to get better every day.

Sam Lengerich