Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2023, 09:45 AM   #1
GMcLawhon
Established Member

M.O.C. #30517
Bathroom countertop

I have 3121RL and underside of sink countertop in bathroom needs to be replaced due to water damage. Does anyone know where I can buy replacement countertops?

GMcLawhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 10:10 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Here is the replacement vanity countertop from Trekwood...screen shot below.
This price does NOT include shipping.

I would be looking elsewhere for a similar countertop.
I only recently learned (from a AZ RV Expert youtube video) that corian can be cut with a skil saw and the edge treated with a router. I guess I had never asked the question "How do you cut that stuff?" I would still have to research what to do about the sink however. I would lean toward a drop-in sink (just due to familiarity with those) and forgo the look of the OEM undermount sink. However, not sure I could get all of this approved by the inspector...DW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-07-26_11-03-20.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	15068  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:48 AM   #3
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Earlier this year I had a fold up shelf made to attach to the end of our kitchen island. I took the insert that goes over the kitchen sink to a cabinet shop to try to find a match. Turns out it was an LG hi macs product. Once I got the part name/number I called around to see if any local top shop had a remnant of that product; luckily I found one. It was 14" by 22" with 2 radiused corners and an ogee contour edge. He made the thing for $70 which I was very pleased with.

The Corian and the LG products are sold in 12' long sheets, so it's much more economical to find a top shop that has some remnants in stock. You don't have to match any existing tops so that should give you additional flexibility. Apparently it's widely used for counter tops in Dr's offices and medical facilities, it is easily sanitized. It's true that it's easily cut and machined with common tools. This material is only 3/8" thick and needs a plywood substrate and the edge has to be glued on and the joint then routed. It can take a lot of sanding with some very fine grit sandpaper.

I would suggest taking a piece of cardboard and drawing a template from the existing top along with the sink you choose and have the shop price everything including the material and fabrication. If they have some small remnants, they'll be happy to get rid of them. They can do a much better job with corner radius cuts than you probably can. In either case, bore the holes for your faucet and install it in the top before installing, much easier that way.

I agree with Mike on the undermount sinks; I don't really like them mainly because of the joint between the sink and countertop is a dirt magnet and really hard to clean. They do look much better especially on a small countertop.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 11:59 AM   #4
GMcLawhon
Established Member

M.O.C. #30517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon County View Post
Earlier this year I had a fold up shelf made to attach to the end of our kitchen island. I took the insert that goes over the kitchen sink to a cabinet shop to try to find a match. Turns out it was an LG hi macs product. Once I got the part name/number I called around to see if any local top shop had a remnant of that product; luckily I found one. It was 14" by 22" with 2 radiused corners and an ogee contour edge. He made the thing for $70 which I was very pleased with.

The Corian and the LG products are sold in 12' long sheets, so it's much more economical to find a top shop that has some remnants in stock. You don't have to match any existing tops so that should give you additional flexibility. Apparently it's widely used for counter tops in Dr's offices and medical facilities, it is easily sanitized. It's true that it's easily cut and machined with common tools. This material is only 3/8" thick and needs a plywood substrate and the edge has to be glued on and the joint then routed. It can take a lot of sanding with some very fine grit sandpaper.

I would suggest taking a piece of cardboard and drawing a template from the existing top along with the sink you choose and have the shop price everything including the material and fabrication. If they have some small remnants, they'll be happy to get rid of them. They can do a much better job with corner radius cuts than you probably can. In either case, bore the holes for your faucet and install it in the top before installing, much easier that way.

I agree with Mike on the undermount sinks; I don't really like them mainly because of the joint between the sink and countertop is a dirt magnet and really hard to clean. They do look much better especially on a small countertop.
Thanks to Mike and Debbie and bourbon for great and quick responses! Very helpful.
George
GMcLawhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 01:00 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The Corian or solid surface as it’s known in the industry is almost can’t be destroyed. If you have solid surface tops take it off and replace the particle board on the bottom. Then glue it back down with silicon. It will never come up and you won’t be able to get it up. Silicone is the way almost all solid surface and stone countertops are installed.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 08:43 AM   #6
Kfinnert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32153
I located a business in Junction City, Oregon that could tackle that job. It is Amazing Creations at 1220 Ivy Street. Thier number is 541-998-1126. I will be going to them for cabinet repair and modifications in October!

Best of luck!
Kfinnert is offline   Reply With Quote