Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2024, 01:45 PM   #1
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
Arizona to Banff, AB

We are planning a trip from Phoenix, AZ to Calgary AB, Banff Ab, Canmore Ab, Golden BC and Jasper State Park in mid August. Would like some information about highways up there. We plan on going up into Canada using I-15 through Utah and Montana to hyw 287 to hyw 89 and passing into Canada at Carway and then Canada hyw 2 to Calgary and west on hyw 1 to Canmore and Banff. How are those roads....pulling a 35' Montana 5ver. On the way home we are staying in Golden, BC and taking hyw 1 to Golden. Then head back home using hyw 95 South to hyw 93 South to Whitefish, MT and staying there to visit Glazier State Park. Has anyone traveled these roads and are they ok to pull a 35' 5ver over. Pulling with a F-350 Diesel. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 08:00 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Just curious here - why take 287 and 89 instead of staying on I15? I have take i15 to canada, then 501 West and finally 2 north to Calgary.
By the way, I assume you made your reservations last year if staying at any Canadian and most provincial parks. The book extremely early

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 08:03 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We did that trip last year from Moab Utah. Arches,
Tetons, Yellowstone, East Glacier, crossed the border at Carway, Calgary, Banff, Jasper Lake Louise.
The roads are fine. Fill up with propane in Canmore (cheapest).
Use the Transit system in Banff. Very easy to get around.
Right now there are wildfires around Jasper. 30% of the town lost on the Southside. I don't know about the campgrounds in the area. We stayed at Whistler Campground just outside town on the south side.
On Google maps the road (93) is closed north of Saskatchewan River Crossing.
Check with Parks Canada for status.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 08:44 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Regarding Campgrounds in the area, a couple of years ago I think Whistler got major damage from fire, so the nice shady spots of years back are just gravel lots now, I think. And both Whistler, Banff and the 'tunnel' parks book up REAL fast. I was heading that way this year and they allow booking something like 90 days or 120 days in advance. I did some testing a few weeks before I was allowed. The sites were booked within 5-15 minutes of start time! No open sites after that until the next day! I just gave up. Somewhere back in the dark ages, I went to all those places and had no problem getting a site! Dang affluent Americans buying all those new RVs, etc! LOL

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 08:05 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Jasper National Park fire info. If you click on the View the Damaged Infrastructure Photo Album, the pictures are heartbreaking. (the pictures appear blurred until you click one to open the album)

https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/jas...foret-wildfire
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 01:50 AM   #6
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
We on an Alaska trip and went to Banff via 95/93 from Couer d’Alene and Hwy 1 in the last 2 weeks. While in Banff, visited the suspension bridges in Golden via Hwy 1. No problems with those roads with 38’ rig and F350 6.7 Diesel. Can’t speak to Hwy 2. Sadly, we stayed in Hinton the day Jasper was evacuated.

Note: If you’re camping in Banff at Tunnel Mountain national park, don’t exit hwy 1 and take your rig through downtown Banff. It’s tight and congested. Exit 2-3 miles east and go the back way.
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 10:53 AM   #7
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Hwy 1 is excellent but a few more comments about the smaller roads.

- On 93/95 and smaller roads like them, watch for the frost heave signs. They are yellow or orange with a saw tooth graphic. Orange flags and orange cones are used too. Slow down (like 40 mph) when you see these - you might have to go even slower once you get closer.

- Similarly, slow down before you get to bridge abutments and again you might have to slow down even more. Some are pretty rough.

- Pay attention to changes in road surface color. You’ll be able to spot recently repaved, older surface, patches, dips, etc. Canada seems to do a great job keeping their roads maintained in BC and Alberta. Our observation is that it’s less so in Yukon but it’s a much harsher climate and less populated.
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2024, 07:49 PM   #8
JJ76

M.O.C. #33077
No issues on these roads once you cross into Canada. We live in that corner of BC and have travelled most of them. Haven’t crossed at that border crossing though. Probably should avoid Jasper as it just had a forests fire go through town/park last week and highways are still closed I believe and park/campgrounds will be closed. Someone above mentioned whistler, maybe the meant whistlers campground in Jasper??
JJ76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2024, 12:33 PM   #9
Golferdave
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12573
Send a message via MSN to Golferdave
Hi there. I was a 12 year full timer hauling 38 ft. 2013 Montana with 2011 Super Duty from Alberta to Arizona ( Meridian RV in Apache Junction ) Just a caution. note : you will not be able to go to Jasper Alberta because of wild fire damage thru the town ! If you have not got reservations in Banff an alternative is Spring Hill RV, Cochrane Alberta. DW and I have been there often. Easy drive to Banff away from congestion. Also if near Edmonton and West Edmonton Mall, Camp n Class RV in Stony Plain. Hope this helps. Happy trails. David Swanson ( Golfer Dave )
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote