Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #41
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
Quote:
Originally Posted by E12Cheng View Post
Thank you all for some thought provoking discussion. I think what hit me the hardest was Texan telling us about his wife with two artificial knees. My mother had artificial knees and it was not easy for her to change direction once moving or to react to something coming at her. When in the public space we should think more of others and not what is just best for me. I would never forgive myself if I caused a hospital stay for Mrs Texan because Zeus saw a squirrel. Zeus will stay home with my son and his dog as they are best buddy's. We will be back in a year so I think he will be fine. We can travel freely around the country on our way to Alaska and not worry about where to stay.
I would not leave my dog for a year just because some parks might not allow him. As far as him maybe chasing a squirrel, he can't if you have him on a leash which campgrounds require anyway

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #42
Dobie dogs
Established Member

M.O.C. #15752
We have two dobies that have been trained to a ridiculous degree. I find that the ankle biters are the worst. My boy was attacked three times in a park when he was a pup by ankle biters that were off leash. Needless to say he doesn’t like those little guys. when we walk our guys they are on 6ft leashes and we keep space from other dogs. what should also be outlawed are those retractable leashes. A neighbor’s dog got away from him due to the retractable leash and was seriously injured by another dog when he rushed them. The larger dog was just protecting his owner. That being said it would simply be safer if people were more responsible dog owners. I’ve seen too many that shouldn’t own pets.
Dobie dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #43
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by E12Cheng View Post
Thank you all for some thought provoking discussion. ... Zeus will stay home with my son ....
To answer your original question, it is up to each individual campground if privately run. If you are using State Parks and/or State Recreation areas the rules for dog breeds are a bit more lax.

I think you are making the right choice if you are able to leave the dog with a family member.

Now, here's some side bar thoughts I'd like to share about dogs and personal experiences.

When I was a kid, about 10 years old (1965) my parents were camping in a campground. They had a travel trailer. My sister, 17 years old, was walking our family German Shepard on a leash when a little girl, about 6 or 7 years old came up to pet the dog. The dog had never shown aggression. When the girl approached, the dog attacked the girl. My sister could not hold the dog. My parents were sued and lost. Fortunately, home owners insurance, even back then, covered the claim and we had to put the dog down. The dog had never, ever shown aggression. To this day, 55 years later, I still do not know what triggered the event.

My other sister had a female Doberman that had puppies, 3 of them. The puppies were sweet as can be. Once, she was going to leave them with my mother (in her mid 80's. The dogs were about 3 or 4 years old now. All was well until something happened. The dogs were free in her yard and she was calling them back. When they didn't want to respond, one of them turned on her, attacked, and then the other two attacked. She was damaged pretty good, her face was torn. But my mother being my mother, a very stubborn World War 2 German war bride refused medical treatment and refused to report the issue. She patched herself up, and that WAS the last time she watched the dogs.

Fast forward again. We had 2 Dachshund's. Both were great dogs. One died of cancer early this year. We had both dogs over 10 years from the time they were puppies. The other dog had a territorial nature, so we were always careful with her, especially in campgrounds and around people. But she still would not take any "guff" from any other dog.

Two months after the first dog died, I had her in the front yard. We live in the country, no fences. The neighbor was dog-sitting a friends dog, and had the dog on a lease. The neighbor started approaching the property line when our dog took off and bolted toward the neighbor. I yelled at her and she stopped 3 times, but every time I got close enough to catch her, she bolted again.

She finally ran right up to the neighbor and the other dog. And in an instant, so fast it was like lightening, the neighbor dog (a bigger dog, German Shephard mix), just reached down, grabbed our little girl, gave her one shake and tossed her like a rubber toy. Our dog laid there. The back of her neck was completely torn from shoulder to shoulder. Her neck was broken. She breathed her last breath and died. .... It happened so fast, reading this last paragraph took longer than the entire event. We (and our neighbors) were devastated. We could not blame the other dog. Our dog was off our property, technically I was at fault. But the hurt was still there. Our neighbor kept saying the dog was so sweet, so gentle, I just don't understand. A week later the owner of the dog came to pick up his dog. He came over to visit us. He offered to pay for our dog, the cremation, anything. We said no. He repeated over and over, I just don't understand, the dog has NEVER shown aggression! Never!

Fast forward a couple more months. Now we have 2 new Dachshund's. Puppies. One is now 4 months old, the other only 2 months old. So darn cute, so sweet, so loveable, so playful. They played with each other, became best friends immediately. Until I put down that first bowl of real human food beef scraps. And JUST THAT QUICK, they attacked each other. I honestly thought they we kill each other, it was so vicious! Every since then, we absolutely do not trust them wholeheartedly. We have seen their vicious side and how quick they can turn.

What I'm saying is, NO ONE HAS A SWEET DOG THAT WILL NEVER BECOME VICIOUS! NO ONE! Dogs have a wild nature, a wild instinct, and no matter how much they are domesticated, they still have an uncontrollable nature that's just waiting to trigger. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER believe you dog won't attack. ALWAS assume it will.... ALWAYS, because eventually IT WILL!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #44
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I just went back and noticed the original date of the original first post. It was posted almost a year ago.

That means the original poster has been full timing for the last year (let's hope so anyway). I'm just wondering how it finally worked out with the dog after a year? What happened? How's the dog?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #45
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
mUSt bE spECial

These threads about pets and their owners always turn it to a pissing match between the arrogant self centered pet owners and the people that follow the rules and just want to be left alone and not step on your dogs mess when they show up at a camp site. What a waste of time cause they will never change.
put this thread to bed please
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:47 PM   #46
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
To answer your original question, it is up to each individual campground if privately run. If you are using State Parks and/or State Recreation areas the rules for dog breeds are a bit more lax.

I think you are making the right choice if you are able to leave the dog with a family member.

Now, here's some side bar thoughts I'd like to share about dogs and personal experiences.

When I was a kid, about 10 years old (1965) my parents were camping in a campground. They had a travel trailer. My sister, 17 years old, was walking our family German Shepard on a leash when a little girl, about 6 or 7 years old came up to pet the dog. The dog had never shown aggression. When the girl approached, the dog attacked the girl. My sister could not hold the dog. My parents were sued and lost. Fortunately, home owners insurance, even back then, covered the claim and we had to put the dog down. The dog had never, ever shown aggression. To this day, 55 years later, I still do not know what triggered the event.

My other sister had a female Doberman that had puppies, 3 of them. The puppies were sweet as can be. Once, she was going to leave them with my mother (in her mid 80's. The dogs were about 3 or 4 years old now. All was well until something happened. The dogs were free in her yard and she was calling them back. When they didn't want to respond, one of them turned on her, attacked, and then the other two attacked. She was damaged pretty good, her face was torn. But my mother being my mother, a very stubborn World War 2 German war bride refused medical treatment and refused to report the issue. She patched herself up, and that WAS the last time she watched the dogs.

Fast forward again. We had 2 Dachshund's. Both were great dogs. One died of cancer early this year. We had both dogs over 10 years from the time they were puppies. The other dog had a territorial nature, so we were always careful with her, especially in campgrounds and around people. But she still would not take any "guff" from any other dog.

Two months after the first dog died, I had her in the front yard. We live in the country, no fences. The neighbor was dog-sitting a friends dog, and had the dog on a lease. The neighbor started approaching the property line when our dog took off and bolted toward the neighbor. I yelled at her and she stopped 3 times, but every time I got close enough to catch her, she bolted again.

She finally ran right up to the neighbor and the other dog. And in an instant, so fast it was like lightening, the neighbor dog (a bigger dog, German Shephard mix), just reached down, grabbed our little girl, gave her one shake and tossed her like a rubber toy. Our dog laid there. The back of her neck was completely torn from shoulder to shoulder. Her neck was broken. She breathed her last breath and died. .... It happened so fast, reading this last paragraph took longer than the entire event. We (and our neighbors) were devastated. We could not blame the other dog. Our dog was off our property, technically I was at fault. But the hurt was still there. Our neighbor kept saying the dog was so sweet, so gentle, I just don't understand. A week later the owner of the dog came to pick up his dog. He came over to visit us. He offered to pay for our dog, the cremation, anything. We said no. He repeated over and over, I just don't understand, the dog has NEVER shown aggression! Never!

Fast forward a couple more months. Now we have 2 new Dachshund's. Puppies. One is now 4 months old, the other only 2 months old. So darn cute, so sweet, so loveable, so playful. They played with each other, became best friends immediately. Until I put down that first bowl of real human food beef scraps. And JUST THAT QUICK, they attacked each other. I honestly thought they we kill each other, it was so vicious! Every since then, we absolutely do not trust them wholeheartedly. We have seen their vicious side and how quick they can turn.

What I'm saying is, NO ONE HAS A SWEET DOG THAT WILL NEVER BECOME VICIOUS! NO ONE! Dogs have a wild nature, a wild instinct, and no matter how much they are domesticated, they still have an uncontrollable nature that's just waiting to trigger. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER believe you dog won't attack. ALWAS assume it will.... ALWAYS, because eventually IT WILL!

You bring up some excellent points that many, many pet owners need to take to heart. I've had great dogs and not so great dogs. Some with wonderful manners and some not so much. Some things I've learned -

Retractable leashes should be outlawed. A dog behaves, and is far more controllable., with a 6' leash. The little retractables aren't strong enough for restraining a dog of any size - almost cut my finger trying to grab that little cord one time.

The owner should have their dog on that leash at ALL times under full control. No matter how well your dog behaves, or has been trained, there will be a trigger that you are unaware of. We had our dog trained, lot of money and time, and she was supposed to be "bulletproof" on anything that would be encountered; not so. Her FIRST issue came when we put her in a glass elevator - she wasn't trained for "that"; thought she would expire right there.

I deal with a fellow regularly at a local park; no leash, no attention; just lets his 2 dogs loose. I've got on him twice. Both times he tells me "they're good dogs" - really? It's the law. "Been coming here for 30 years and never put a dog on a leash". Well here's a news flash - doesn't matter if your dog is good or not, when left to roam and barge into other dogs space something, anything, can happen. Our dog has been attacked 2 times on leash by other dogs. Another time my DDs dog, which she loved, for some reason just nailed her coming out of the bedroom. Needless to say she does not like any dog coming near her when she is leashed.

Nearly everyone I meet in an RV park has a dog. The discussion of dogs, dog etiquette and issues with them is something that is appropriate on an RV forum though some think it's a "pissing" match - I don't see that. Anyone that owns one needs to take care of business and most do. Bad things can and do happen, we all need to always be mindful of that in the event of a "mind lapse".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #47
Tracie

M.O.C. #26718
We have dobermans camping with us and the campgrounds that say they won’t let dobermans in have never checked with us about the breed. While we have walked our dogs by workers they even come up to pet them.
Tracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:33 AM   #48
Dobie dogs
Established Member

M.O.C. #15752
We travel with two dobies and of course they are sweet and friendly. BUT, we don’t assume anything. One thing our female does is if she sees another dog she’ll bark. Not aggressively but wants to meet the dog. Now we know that but the other owner doesn’t. So we immediately diffuse the situation by going in another direction or they go in the rig.
We also use a device called an “egg” that deters the barking. If someone walks by while we are not there, it emits a high pitched sound only they hear. it works for our guys.
As far a parks not allowing large or assumed vicious dogs we stayed at a park on key west that only asked what our insurance coverage was if there was an incident. We supplied them proof of insurance coverage and it was satisfactory for the association and the lot owner.
Yes we do research all parks for restrictions prior to booking so as not to lose any deposit or fees.
Short story Once at a park in Florida with a new Doberman puppy he was attacked three times from those nice little ankle bitters. From that point on he had aggressive behavior towards small dogs only. So my point any dog can be vicious and owners need to be responsible when it comes to their dogs. Don’t presume anything.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:37 AM   #49
Dobie dogs
Established Member

M.O.C. #15752
Ok this may be off topic a bit.
Has anyone found a lock for the screen door to prevent a wise dog from opening the latch on a screen door? One that requires an opposing thumb to operated. Lol
Thanks
Bob
Old 05-24-2022, 11:55 AM   #50
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie dogs View Post
…. ….
Short story Once at a park in Florida with a new Doberman puppy he was attacked three times from those nice little ankle bitters. From that point on he had aggressive behavior towards small dogs only. So my point any dog can be vicious and owners need to be responsible when it comes to their dogs. Don’t presume anything.
I do agree with you about the small high strung breeds being more likely to bite. But it is safe to presume the large powerful breeds are far more likely to do more trauma than a small dog in the event they do bite. And that very real possibility of significant injury and ensuing costs (especially when the lawyers get into “mental anguish”) is the primary reason for the restrictions and bans.

Actually I am a little surprised a park would allow certain breeds in if the dog owner has liability insurance. A park can be sued independently of you. I guess I would be surprised if your policy would cover any supposed “negligence” of the park.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:19 PM   #51
JNLVaughn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29819
I have worked at many RV parks/campgrounds... None of them has list of dogs not allowed. Typically people who camp are aware that aggressive fierce dogs will not be welcome.
We had numerous rotties, dobies, pitts, shepherds and all very well behaved and friendly.
We did inform owner at time of reservation and check in that if complaints were received they would be discussed and options given. In 4 years the only dog that caused rejection was a white golden retriever and it was due to owners not being able to control, they received 3 warnings before ejected.
I would not worry and enjoy your travels.
JNLVaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:55 AM   #52
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I've seen plenty of parks with dog restrictions. Here one place that we are at now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0550.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	12074  
Old 05-28-2022, 08:51 AM   #53
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I, too, have seen the above restrictions.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:45 PM   #54
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I've found one thing that is great self defense from any dog. Pepper spray. It works wonders. I don't care what dog someone has as long as they keep it under control and scoop the poop.