Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2022, 10:30 AM   #1
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
2005 Montana 2955RL generator install

On our Montana 295RL I installed a Wen 5638i generator in the front luggage compartment floor. Being a boater of many years and Industrial Control Electrician I also installed 3 group 24 RV deep cycle batteries for a "house" bank" at the same time as the generator install. I started with 3/4" plywood for the floor of the compartment and bolted the generator to the floor and routed the exhaust thru the floor and outside with about 1' sticking down outside. Fueling is accomplished via a portable 5 gallon tank and a Deway Automatic Fuel Transfer Pump. I also installed carbon monoxide detectors in the bedroom and living room as well. Supply to the RV is via a switched receptacle in the luggage compartment (permits starting generator with no load) that is connected to the generator 30 receptacle and I plug my power cord for the RV into the switched receptacle. This way I have no need of a transfer switch. Question I have is am I missing anything that could be unsafe or needing improvment? Plan is to run the generator with the compartment door open.

Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:40 PM   #2
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
could be

3 new Carbon Monoxide detectors 1 in the living room 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the bed room near your head while sleeping would be a good start. Then some way to vent your exhaust away from the bed room. This proposed location alone would keep me from doing this. And refueling in the middle of the night in the pouring rain would be a real challenge at best. Good luck with your project.

Last Nascar deaths some years ago involved the guy`s next door generator leaking CO-2 into a camper that had 3 or 4 people in it sleeping and killed all of them.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:34 PM   #3
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
3 new Carbon Monoxide detectors 1 in the living room 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the bed room near your head while sleeping would be a good start. Then some way to vent your exhaust away from the bed room. This proposed location alone would keep me from doing this. And refueling in the middle of the night in the pouring rain would be a real challenge at best. Good luck with your project.

Last Nascar deaths some years ago involved the guy`s next door generator leaking CO-2 into a camper that had 3 or 4 people in it sleeping and killed all of them.
I appreciate your concern and you make some valid points. Rest assured my thoughts and installation will be very similar to what I have installed on my boat and have used it for 3 years with no issues. Installed 3 Carbon Monoxide detectors on the boat and will do the same in the FW. As on my boat, the generator is only used to charge the house bank of batteries and for use of 120v appliances as needed. Would never be used at night while sleeping or during the day while napping. Having cruised to Alaska on my boat, circumnavigated Vancouver Island and fished 60 miles offshore I can assure you safety is a primary concern of mine always. 22 years working in underground and open pit coal mines taught me that.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:17 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My motor home has the generator under the bedroom with the exhaust coming out directly under the bedroom window. This window isn’t the escape window. It’s one you can open and as far as I know no one has suffered Co2 poisoning. It’s a Fleetwood but the floor plan was common across several campers brands.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:18 PM   #5
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
really good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
My motor home has the generator under the bedroom with the exhaust coming out directly under the bedroom window. This window isn’t the escape window. It’s one you can open and as far as I know no one has suffered Co2 poisoning. It’s a Fleetwood but the floor plan was common across several campers brands.
Lynwood

Go to a Fire dept. and have them comment on your gen install. You will be surprised at what they tell you. Just because an unregulated rv manufacturer installed something a certain way doesn't mean it`s safe. Yes I`ve seen this type of install on many motorhomes but they also tell you to install the exhaust extension kit available that takes your exhaust above the roof and puts it in the wind no matter how light if your going to be stationary for any length of time. Not using one is for when your moving down the road and you don`t need one. Did this get missed on orientation? Or did you have a fool as a salesmen and failed to inform you about the dangers of this. Making statements like this can put an unsuspecting newbie at risk just because they just don`t know. You would be surprised just how many people haven`t got a clue about anything, sorry past carrier showed me this and it`s scary.
If you read ANY install instructions for a permanent gen, gas furnace anything that produces CO2 it will not pass any governing bodies inspection if the exhaust is installed anywhere near a window, door, vent of any kind, breezeway or so many feet to a window or not run at least 4 `feet above the roof line. (In the wind). Might be for a reason. CO2 deaths are numerous, every year. But you do what you want.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:56 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks. I checked the Co2 level in my camper stationary for a couple of hours on a still day in my bedroom at the window. With a digital Co2 gage. The level was 0 zero per million.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:50 AM   #7
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
It sounds like your setup is doable and much concern for safety was applied. My preference would be to mount the genny on a slide, just because. If for no other reason than to have access for maintenance. Some here have posted pics on this subject.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:57 AM   #8
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Thanks. I checked the Co2 level in my camper stationary for a couple of hours on a still day in my bedroom at the window. With a digital Co2 gage. The level was 0 zero per million.
Lynwood
Happy for you but the FACTS still remain. But the truly uninformed might, could, not experience the same outcome. But keep pushing incorrect, dangerous, against all know logic Hey if he did it so can I ideas and some one will not and have not wake up. Try Goggling campers die of CO2, their idea like yours could and didn`t work out on that day. There are many many many people that listen to someone or didn`t ask and paid the price. You guys do what you want but pushing bad ideas on the unsuspecting is just plan wrong. I won`t be apart of this conversation anymore.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:19 AM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
The 2005 floor plan is basically the same as the 2022 and they've been putting gens in them for decades. I've had 4 trailers with onan's in them. I've had gas and LPG. I have LPG now and prefer LPG because they burn clean and the engines last forever. My first was a gas 2500 in a Jayco with a 2K inverter installed by a dealer. It was in the front, bed was in the back. Second was LPG with a 4k inverter in a Prowler under the bedroom installed by me. Third was the same setup in a Cougar under the bedroom installed by me. Forth is the Monty under the bedroom installed by Holly generator. In every case the exhaust was routed to the safest place.

If you don't have the luxury of full hookup then what are we to do? We use a generator built in or portable. I dont want to drag a portable gen around if I don't have to. Typically you're not running the generator while you're in bed sleeping. And as far as killing the neighbor? I'm going to need you to move your trailer out of my spot please.

And if we're that worried about generator exhaust we should probably start worrying about having LPG tanks on our trailers. More people die from propane leaks then exhaust. I might trip down the stairs and break my neck also....dam I'm going to cancel my next trip....

In every case except the Monty I used a simple two transfer switch setup without a gen sub panel. No you couldn't turn everything on but using common sense it worked flawlessly.
Old 04-02-2022, 05:59 PM   #10
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
It sounds like your setup is doable and much concern for safety was applied. My preference would be to mount the genny on a slide, just because. If for no other reason than to have access for maintenance. Some here have posted pics on this subject.
Thank you for the suggestion as it was given much thought but my door opening is 22" and the Wen is about 21.5" tall, just fit getting it in the compartment. I do have a hole thru the floor to stick the oil discharge hose thru at oil change time though, otherwise I have a rubber plug in the hole to keep it sealed. The plan is to only run it while the door is open to avoid overheating the generator. The exhaust exits thru the floor about 12" from the door opening as well.
Old 04-02-2022, 06:06 PM   #11
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
If you don't have the luxury of full hookup then what are we to do? We use a generator built in or portable. I don't want to drag a portable gen around if I don't have to. Typically you're not running the generator while you're in bed sleeping. And as far as killing the neighbor? I'm going to need you to move your trailer out of my spot please.

And if we're that worried about generator exhaust we should probably start worrying about having LPG tanks on our trailers. More people die from propane leaks then exhaust. I might trip down the stairs and break my neck also....dam I'm going to cancel my next trip....
I couldn't say it better then you did. Thank you, always good to hear common sense spoken.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:26 PM   #12
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
We have a 2005 2955RL as well. It came with factory gen prep and gen was installed by dealer. Factory prep has an opening in the compartment door for air, and gen is mounted on rails rather than a solid floor so there is ventilation beneath the gen. It is surrounded by a sheetmetal wall for fire isolation. Exhaust exits below and has a long pipe that protrudes on street side. Offered as an FYI.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:33 PM   #13
BobStack
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25753
I have a 3781RL and thought long and hard about permanently mounting my WEN generator in a compartment but I found the best place was in the front of the bed of my truck with a exhaust extension pipe. This way I can still use it if we overnight still hooked up to the truck and it’s not adding weight to my rig. I also feel better knowing it’s locked up in the bed of my truck or in my garage. Just my two cents
BobStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:26 PM   #14
Hit The Road
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27454
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Go to a Fire dept. and have them comment on your gen install. You will be surprised at what they tell you. Just because an unregulated rv manufacturer installed something a certain way doesn't mean it`s safe. Yes I`ve seen this type of install on many motorhomes but they also tell you to install the exhaust extension kit available that takes your exhaust above the roof and puts it in the wind no matter how light if your going to be stationary for any length of time. Not using one is for when your moving down the road and you don`t need one. Did this get missed on orientation? Or did you have a fool as a salesmen and failed to inform you about the dangers of this. Making statements like this can put an unsuspecting newbie at risk just because they just don`t know. You would be surprised just how many people haven`t got a clue about anything, sorry past carrier showed me this and it`s scary.
If you read ANY install instructions for a permanent gen, gas furnace anything that produces CO2 it will not pass any governing bodies inspection if the exhaust is installed anywhere near a window, door, vent of any kind, breezeway or so many feet to a window or not run at least 4 `feet above the roof line. (In the wind). Might be for a reason. CO2 deaths are numerous, every year. But you do what you want.

FYI...FD Here. We don't inspect RV generators or review if they are installed correctly! Common sense tells you not to install these near doors and windows and vent them properly. I have seen hundreds of posts like this. Especially with the small gas generators and a diy project. No thanks, I let a professional engineer design the location and the factory installed it! I'm good but others can do what they please.
Hit The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:08 PM   #15
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
Be sure you have provision for air to enter as the genny needs this to run. My camper has slots in the floor of the front compartment.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 12:04 PM   #16
David Leak
Established Member

M.O.C. #13420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Venture II View Post
On our Montana 295RL I installed a Wen 5638i generator in the front luggage compartment floor. Being a boater of many years and Industrial Control Electrician I also installed 3 group 24 RV deep cycle batteries for a "house" bank" at the same time as the generator install. I started with 3/4" plywood for the floor of the compartment and bolted the generator to the floor and routed the exhaust thru the floor and outside with about 1' sticking down outside. Fueling is accomplished via a portable 5 gallon tank and a Deway Automatic Fuel Transfer Pump. I also installed carbon monoxide detectors in the bedroom and living room as well. Supply to the RV is via a switched receptacle in the luggage compartment (permits starting generator with no load) that is connected to the generator 30 receptacle and I plug my power cord for the RV into the switched receptacle. This way I have no need of a transfer switch. Question I have is am I missing anything that could be unsafe or needing improvment? Plan is to run the generator with the compartment door open.
I don’t think the 3/4” plywood floor is a good idea, even with the access door open. I think ever generator installation I’ve seen is open underneath the generator which would allow for air circulation, there is a lot of heat involved and noise while the generator is running, you need all the ventilation you can ger. Maybe a little metal fabrication which would include some kind of expanded metal flooring would be better, and for sure redirect the exhaust out to the side of the trailer.
David Leak is offline   Reply With Quote