Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #21
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What thermostat do you have? Is it the "capacitive touch" unit? If so they are just bad.

Dometic told me back in 18? they had some bad batches of thermostats. I replaced mine 4 times and carried a spare. They said there was nothing else compatible. One of us could walk by it and it would go wacko. Replaced faceplates, cut/modified the foam underneath, used my fingers on the metal probes...crazy. Unfortunately the new HC has them as well. The main one gets on a tangent and I have to go reset it every now and again...day or night, but at least it doesn't decide it needs to be set at 90 when it's 100 outside. I have seen that MicroAir??? or someone like that now makes a compatible thermostat. From what I remember it was kind of spendy but I kind of like things to work.
Ditto on my 2018 358BH. Replaced the entire thermostat in main living area. So far so good. Dealer told me they replace 4-5 a week! Also told me its hit or miss on getting a good one. I’ll see how long these last. Fingers crossed. I also read about a company that now makes a compatible thermostat. Would be good to know.

Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #22
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Exactly my thought. I don't want to spend $500 bucks for new Tstats just to have the same problems I have now. I don't care about using my phone to control it. I usually set and forget, except I can't now because it doesn't work like it should.
Has anyone called and asked them about these tstats working with the Dometic units? What is their return policy if they do not work? Would be good to know.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:57 PM   #23
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Has anyone called and asked them about these tstats working with the Dometic units? What is their return policy if they do not work? Would be good to know.

The MicroAir website specifically says they are compatible with the CT Dometic thermostats then lists the various thermostats (with pics) and shows the appropriate MircroAir thermostat. If my trailer wasn't in the shop I would probably just order one to see before we head back to FL but right now want to see what Keystone says about the issues with the new trailer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:18 PM   #24
eZAK
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26857
Wow, Sounds like a class action lawsuit to me.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:32 PM   #25
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
The bottom line for me is that I’d just as soon not be annoyed and enjoy my 5er. How hard do you think it is to just remove the dometics and replace with the Coleman’s?
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:50 PM   #26
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclme View Post
The bottom line for me is that I’d just as soon not be annoyed and enjoy my 5er. How hard do you think it is to just remove the dometics and replace with the Coleman’s?

I'm not sure what you mean. How hard isn't really the question it's "how MUCH" to replace all AC units and associated stats etc. - Coleman doesn't mix with Dometic. I can assure you if you think you don't like to be "annoyed", I'll be on the same rung...or above I'm sure. Common sense, rationale and cost/benefit (which I go by) doesn't put the "change it all out to Coleman" theory into play. I'll do the MicroAir all day long before that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:04 PM   #27
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Maybe a mini-split?
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:55 AM   #28
joesuedoc

M.O.C. #23784
I have 2017 3811 MS with same issue of units on auto. Get to cool temp, shuts off, and does not come back on. Have changed thermostats but results same. Live in Florida as FT. I set AC fan on HI and AC runs 24/7. Compressor does cycle. Have small dog so need AC. Electric bill also high. Dometic no help. Sounds like issue has been around for too long.
joesuedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:06 AM   #29
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
joesuedoc, I agree, this has been an issue for many years. Did I understand you correctly that you set your fan to high and that both the fan and compressor cycle on and off as expected? I tried that and with ours, only the fans stays on all the time. The compressor shuts off and will not turn back on, so the unit blows warmer and warmer air as the day goes on.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:37 AM   #30
joesuedoc

M.O.C. #23784
Fans run all the time and it sounds like compressor cycles on and off when set temp is reached but since temp has been so hot here in FL I have not heard compressor cycle off in months. I do turn living room AC off at night but BR AC runs all the time.
Prior to summer I could hear compressor cycle on and off.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:42 AM   #31
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Thanks. I'll have to try that again next time we're out. I tried it earlier this year on 2 different days. Fan ran all the time, compressor shut off and didn't turn back on after several hours. You could feel warmer and warmer air blowing from the vents.
This solution was suggested at the time because the theory was that the freeze sensor was preventing it from turning back on. Keeping the fan running would stop the unit from freezing up. Since then, that theory was shot down as Brandon ran for a while with freeze sensors removed and still had the same problem.
Anyway, I'll give it another try when I get back out there. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2020, 06:56 AM   #32
joesuedoc

M.O.C. #23784
If Keystone went to Dometic as said fix the problem or we will get other AC units, I think we all could get the FIX. Guess Keystone just wants to pass problem on to us.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:12 AM   #33
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I think Keystone did push for a fix from Dometic, to no avail. Or at least they went to Coleman in the latest models and got away from the Dometic A/C units. Still no fix from Dometic.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #34
Scottish_Rovers
Established Member

M.O.C. #20541
We have the cover off for the one in the hallway for the kitchen/living room. It did help. The one in the bedroom has the cover on and works OK? it sure doesn't function like the one I had in my house, but since this is the only RV I've ever owned I just figured it was normal. IT'S ADEQUATE FOR OUR NEEDS.
Scottish_Rovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:35 PM   #35
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Microair return policy / product diognostics

There is a 25% restocking fee for returns, but you can return the thermostat. They can also run diagnostics on your entire thermostat if you continue to have problems. They say they are compatible with all Dometic units. Go to their web site for more info. For those folks with chronic problems this might be the ticket. If its an issue with the AC control board or non thermostat issue this won’t help. Copied off their web site:

Repair Return Instructions

Instructions for Returning or Repair of an Item

Any items that are to be evaluated should be sent as a complete set, both the control board and the control display, including any specialized cables, if possible. All we need is a brief description of the reason the unit is being sent for evaluation.

There is an evaluation fee plus shipping and handling for controls that are found to have no trouble with them. The evaluation fee is waived when the control is found to require repairs. The repair charge along with the shipping and handling are then applied. Most repairs require two weeks for processing and return. The time required will increase if special parts need to be ordered.

To expedite your return or repair, please download, print, and fill out the PDF Return Form, and include it in the shipment of items to be returned or repaired. On the form, please provide all the pertinent information
Please provide detailed information about the issue or service request such as the below examples...
Why are you returning the item?
What type of behavior are you experiencing?
Was the original configuration updated?
Describe the unit/s as well as providing all identifiable information such as serial numbers etc...
Old 08-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #36
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Has anyone tried the Micro Air thermostats? I'm kinda reluctant to spend $250 on a tstat just to see if it fixes the issue. If I know it does, then that would be fine. Just don't want to waste money and still not have a fix.
X2 on this...have the same "wont turn back on" issues, however this has only happened a couple times, which were all within a few days last summer...hasn't happened since. I had the cover off for a time, that didn't fix it, removed the foam pads and threw them out, cant remember if it acted up after that, but I believe it did. I had the thermostat completely removed and determed for a short while, seems like that was the last time I had to mess with it. We also have pets so we worry about leaving for long periods during hot days...Ill spend the money on Micro Air today if it fixes the issue
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:00 AM   #37
DCHuts
Established Member

M.O.C. #22396
Dometic touch pad controls

I had the same problems on my 2018 3000RE. I got hold of Dometic and complained. They sent me a new control pad that i replaced and the problems went away. Inside the control pad is conductive foam like material that has to conduct your tough to the leads on the controller. Play around with the foam and how it touches the leads, that might help.
DCHuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #38
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Ah, if it were only that simple. Even with the face plates removed, the problem still occurs. Replace face plates, entire thermostats, control boards, freeze sensors...etc.
Still no joy.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #39
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Same issue when heating

FYI, We had the same type of problem but with heating. Took the rig up north this last winter. A few days into the week we woke to the rig at above 90• and the thermostat wasn’t shutting off on its own. I reset it several times but still didn’t shut off on its own. For the rest of the stay I would warm up the trailer then shut it off. Woke up colder than .... but it was better than the heat. I think my main concern was if it just kept going it would cause a fire. No buano
Our unit has been in the shop more than out , mostly for the self leveling system and this thermostat probably. I hope they come up with a fix. Other than that I love the 5er.
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote