Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Self Inflicted Pain Solution?

I am just curious if anyone else has found a solution to this issue. DW and I have both hit our head on the door over the electronics cabinet. As I said it's self inflicted from not closing the door. I would guess we're not the only ones to hit our heads on the door. Looking for solutions other than "just close the door" or taking the door off. Thanks in advance.

rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Wear a helmet.
Sorry couldn't resist.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
I hit my head on the hallway cabinet door that covers the switch panel. We leave it open and bang. I read a post from someone who wired a switch to the door which controls a flashing light under the stair. Worked for them.
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
If this is a serious question, you could install spring loaded hinges on the door and it would automatically close if your head is not in the way.......
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am assuming you are regularly leaving the door open for a reason.

If you are hitting the bottom corner, there are small rubber adhesive backed "bumpers" you can put on those corners. I think they are made for corners of desks, but would work there also. If you are spreading your bumps all along the edges, you could get some of the adhesive backed rubber insulation strips made for closing gaps around doors and windows. Those would soften the blow.

Or you could embed some tiny LEDs in the door connected to a door switch and flasher circuit that would flash the LEDs any time the door was open.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Head knockers are common on RVs
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmthelen View Post
If this is a serious question, you could install spring loaded hinges on the door and it would automatically close if your head is not in the way.......
Or you could just take the door off.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Which begs another question: what do most folks do to prevent head injuries from the bedroom slide when you are walking around outside? We use pool noodle pieces, but it would be nice if there was something we could attach there that would not need to be removed every time you put the slide in.

There was a cabinet above the recliners in our previous trailer and it had a sharp edge at the bottom which stuck out from the rest of the cabinets. The rest of the cabinets had rounded edges at the bottom. Go figure. I went to Home Depot and got some pipe insulation (made of some kind of foam plastic) and attached it to the bottom. It worked great.

So cushions for the slide corners outside would be nice. I am not sure if they exist.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #9
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Which begs another question: what do most folks do to prevent head injuries from the bedroom slide when you are walking around outside? We use pool noodle pieces, but it would be nice if there was something we could attach there that would not need to be removed every time you put the slide in.

There was a cabinet above the recliners in our previous trailer and it had a sharp edge at the bottom which stuck out from the rest of the cabinets. The rest of the cabinets had rounded edges at the bottom. Go figure. I went to Home Depot and got some pipe insulation (made of some kind of foam plastic) and attached it to the bottom. It worked great.

So cushions for the slide corners outside would be nice. I am not sure if they exist.

Most of the time, I duck....
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #10
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk View Post
Most of the time, I duck....
This reminded me of a sign that was attached above a very low doorway in our very old local pub in England when I was posted there.

"Duck or Grouse"

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #11
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We had a low clearance on the stairs in a house we once lived in. I put up one of those yellow road signs that read "bump ahead".

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 07-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #12
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Camping World has a kit that contains 4 stick on bumpers that attach to the corners of that slide out. I used 2 and have 2 extra for when one falls off. That said they have been on there for a bit over 2 years.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #13
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
Camping World has a kit that contains 4 stick on bumpers that attach to the corners of that slide out. I used 2 and have 2 extra for when one falls off. That said they have been on there for a bit over 2 years.
Thanks, I will look into that! There have been a few times when I forgot about the pool noodle pieces when putting the slides in.

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 07-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We used the soft corners from Camping World for about 5 years on the old rig. One fell off after about three years and I put one of the spares on and it lasted until we traded. Trading is also the answer to the entertainment doors. The ceilings and thus the cabinets are much higher in our new rig
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:02 PM   #15
roothoss1282
Established Member

M.O.C. #18012
Hang ribbon from the bottom of the door so you can see that it is open. We got tired of hitting our head as well. Run the slides out leave door open, run the awning out leave door open. Hit our head every time Not sure why it is so hard to close the darn door but I feel your pain
roothoss1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:16 PM   #16
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
We have the same problem. The issue is that most people are looking down when they climb the stairs, the cabinet door is not in line of site. I put a piece of orange flagging tape on the inside of the door so that when the door is left open the tape hangs down in the line of site. I tuck it inside, out of site when I close the door. I just did this last week so not sure if it works, but I think it will. I considered taking the door off, but have not got to that point yet. Of course closing the door is the real solution, but I have the scars to prove that doesn't always work.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Well, a few ideas, and yes it is a serious question. DW almost knocked herself out last week. The streamer and self closing hinges are good ideas.
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:28 AM   #18
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
I banged my head so many times I lost count. It's only natural to be looking down at the steps while going up them. I got tired of inventing new words every time I banged my head so...

I installed a magnetic proximity switch at the top, inside of the cabinet so that when you open the cabinet door a VERY BRIGHT FLASHING light turns on that you can't possibly miss. The light, which is a 12 volt "center brake light" for a car, is mounted behind the wooden slats in the second stair riser. You can't see it when it's off - the spaces between the slats just turn to black. But when it's on - it's so bright, it illuminates the first stair also! The light flashes at a very "urgent" looking 3/second rate - very attention getting. It turns off when the cabinet is closed. It runs on 12 volts - I just grabbed 12 volts from the circuit breaker/low voltage distribution box next to the stairs. The wiring runs up inside the adjacent wall. Nothing is seen normally except the magnetic switch (and the warning light) when the cabinet door is open.

Problem solved. I haven't banged my head at all since it was installed about a year and a half ago. However, the light has stopped me short MANY times. No new words.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:40 AM   #19
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
My DW and i know the pain all too well. I left the door open a few times on myself but one time i left it open and my DW nailed her head on it real bad and now we open look then close it religiously.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #20
dannyrver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9072
I took a small bungee cord and mounted it so it closes the door, best hack ever!
dannyrver is offline   Reply With Quote