Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #1
dfryk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19708
Wheel stud failure

We recently had all 8 wheel studs on the RR of our 2015 3160 sheer, releasing the wheel to do some significant body damage. Upon close inspection of the fracture lines, it was clear they all failed at the same time, or nearly the same time. All fractures looked clean. (The wheel was professionally installed three years ago and never removed since. Torqued to 110.)

I've never heard of this happening nor has our wheel/tire guy. Anyone else?

The only other thing that may enter into the question is that we recently purchased a new 4WD Ram pickup which is a good bit higher than our old 2WD Ram. This results in a SLIGHTLY higher front end than previously. The front is only about 2 inches higher than the back. I can't see how this small difference would cause the problem. I only mention it because it is the only change in setup.

Any sage wisdom out there?

Thanks.

dfryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Did you retorque the lug nuts after the wheel was installed and you had towed it a few miles? And again at least yearly afterward?

Lug nuts can loosen. And if they all were all loose the wheel would start pounding on the studs on each revolution.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:14 PM   #3
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
To me 110 is some major torque. I don't think my wrench goes that high. You may have had a lose wheel. When was the last time you did a nut check? I check every trip. I only do mine at 80. I'm always afraid that I would strip out a nut. I have not had a lose wheel. and I know only time will tell. I would however check the rest of the studs and I would consider replacing them all.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
triplebvalp
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
... I check every trip. I only do mine at 80.
Slow Hand, the recommended torque for 1/2" lugs is 115lbs ... just saying.
Reese M5 - 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:38 PM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I had that happen many years ago on an older 5er. I know it was my fault for not checking the lugs. They don't just sheer unless they are loose or way over torqued. 110-120 lbs on 1/2" lugs wouldn't be over torqued. They were likely loose.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I had a car tire installed with the lug nuts cross threaded. Tires were replaced and installed at a tire shop. Some time much later got a flat and had to change that tire.
When I tried to take the wheel off the lug nuts snapped off one by one. Had it towed to that tire shop. They replaced the tire, lug nuts and the lug nut studs, no charge...
Yeah, they knew they messed up.
Had them pull all the wheels off and verified the others were good.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:49 PM   #7
CruzinMooses
Established Member

M.O.C. #23995
if the lug nut were loose you would see wear on the lug nuts before they broke. It would be very noticeable. From what you are saying they looked like they sheered all at once. There is a big big difference between a sheer and loose nut that wore and then broke. Also does your trailer have aluminum or steel rims?
Old 08-21-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Absolutely loose lug nuts. Professionally installed is a joke, they use an impact wrench that more often than not will over torque the lug nuts and stretch the threads causing them to not hold as well!
Find out what the torque is on your truck and buy a torque wrench that exceeds both the truck and the trailer. I recommend one that goes to 250 ft. lbs. it will be longer and give you more leverage which you need for higher torque numbers. Also torque wrenches are most accurate in the middle 80% of their range.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #9
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Second the motion for improperly installed wheel and lack of follow up. Impact wrenches should be outlawed for highway vehicles. And, if not removed in three years, how are the brakes, bearings, and grease? Spring hangers?
Old 08-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #10
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
I had a car tire installed with the lug nuts cross threaded. Tires were replaced and installed at a tire shop. Some time much later got a flat and had to change that tire.
When I tried to take the wheel off the lug nuts snapped off one by one. Had it towed to that tire shop. They replaced the tire, lug nuts and the lug nut studs, no charge...
Yeah, they knew they messed up.
Had them pull all the wheels off and verified the others were good.

This brings back a very memorable, aggravating and learning experience for me.

Took my SUV into the "Goodyear Tire Store" and tires rotated and balanced. I arrived to pick it up as they were "finishing" up....with an impact wrench. They were having difficulties with the last tire and had to go get a "bigger" impact wrench (I was being stupid here and let them do it). Headed on out for our jaunt to the mounains...

At that time I used to 4x4 in the back country so we took the truck WAY back there as I always did. Back in there on "desolation ridge" or something like that a tire blew - the wheel that had been a problem. Jacked the truck up to put on the spare...whoops! Put the lug wrench on one lug nut then the other...would not move for anything. Cheater bar...no luck until I pushed it then....1,2 then 3 of the bolts sheared because they were cross threaded. Walked 7 miles with DW (I had a just replaced knee trying to navigate the mountain trails) to find someone to take us the other 13 miles down to find my friend that then found someone to help.

Impact wrenches are no longer allowed on anything I own. Torque values are given to the folks doing the work and I insist that I watch them do it. Make them unhappy? No doubt? Have I been refused...not yet.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:31 PM   #11
dfryk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19708
Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate them.

To respond to a couple of things:

The lug nuts were finished with a torque wrench. We have alloy wheels. I inspected them and there was none of the wear that would be associated with nuts coming loose and the wheel beginning to wobble.

I'm still puzzled. I think I will replace the studs on all four wheels and hope this was an anomaly.
dfryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:34 AM   #12
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Just to throw this out...The manual for ours lists the torque as 110-120 for the lug nuts. That's really not that much torque considering what it is holding. Just my opinion.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:00 AM   #13
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Reason RVs are more critical, the wheels are lug centered. On your truck the wheels are hub centered. Lug nuts hold the RV up. Hub holds your truck up. Notice when you remove lug nuts on truck the wheel is still tight on hub, not so on RV. Have you ever seen a truck with warning to re-torque lug nuts before every trip?

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:19 AM   #14
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Curious, did you find any of the sheared studs and if so were the nuts still attached? The odds of eight studs breaking at the same time, short of an impact that would cause other damage is unfathomable.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:43 AM   #15
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Id venture to say either the wheels were never properly torqued during the "professional" install, torque wrench value not correct, no 3 step torque sequence values were adhered to..

Also 3 years since install... when was the last time the hubs were removed to inspect brakes, bearings, etc

A good torque wrench should be standard equipment for all RV owners.. You can then do the task of rechecking wheel lug nut torque yourself and know its done right
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:23 AM   #16
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
My RV checklist--yes I have one that I started in 2006--has torque lug nuts. 120 using a good torque wrench. If a tire has been removed, then it is the retorque, 10, 20 and 50 mile stops to retorque and keep on truckin. Sure works for me. Recommend it for others. Never lost a tire.
One time after bearing grease job at a RV shop, I was hooked up and re-torqued all the wheels. A mechanic came out and told me he had NEVER seen anyone do that! I said that I always do that.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:29 AM   #17
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
gave up

Lack of owner attention and maintenance is what caused this. Inspections before and after each trip would have caught the potential problem. Wheel bearing, brake shoe inspection at the very least every 2 years or after driving some serious miles would have found a problem. This is the very reason I don`t follow anyone towing a camper or trailer or Motorhome towing a car in caravan type travel. Don`t need a tire, bike rack, generator, car carrier coming through my windshield at 65 MPH.
Move up to 1:50 to see what I mean. When do you think this guy pulled his wheels and checked things out before he over loaded his trailer with Aunt Milley`s antiques. Our campers are on the edge of being over loaded with the 7000 lb axles,wheels and some tires they get by with and need to be inspected every time out and post trip. I believe it is a responsibility to the traveling public if not to your wallet.

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:04 AM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Those lug nuts didn’t just all shear off at the same time for no reason. I’ll bet they loosen up first and being lugcentric and then failed. You can get a torque wrench from Harbor Freight for ten bucks. I can’t think of any reason anybody would have a 80K camper and no TK wrench.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #19
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
8 lugs will only break/shear 2 ways - too loose and w-a-a-y over tightened by someone with a high power impact gun that hammers those lug nuts until the gun wont move.

Case in point - had a garage put new tires on a car years back. A 20" breaker bar with 4 foot cheater would only break sockets - two of them, 1 S-K the other a Snap-on - until I had to buy an impact socket. Every stud broke. That garage did not like my $80 bill but paid
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #20
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
we've had that happen to us. It is caused by not torquing your lug nuts. You have to periodically check to make sure they are tight.

In our situation I failed to check the torque after having the brakes redone. Both rear wheels came off.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote