Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
Cynstress

M.O.C. #28155
Unhappy Do I have a lemon?

I'm hoping for suggestions. I've owned this brand new 2021 3120RL Legacy with Super Solar Package since June 4 and it's been in the shop for 5 weeks on three different appointments. Two of these issues were never resolved the first two times. Now, my travel plans have been completely foiled by shotty craftsmanship 😩 It looks like the the best case scenario is that my Molly will be going back to Indiana to have the floor replaced due to a leaking hot water tank, that apparently had been leaking since the first time I put water in it. After three weeks of running a fan on the vinyl floor, Tacoma RV can't get the plywood dry. I still don't know how that's gonna work anyway. I am so sad and very very angry. I really have had very little fun time in this $118K fifth wheel in my first three months. I could really rant, but no one wants to read that crap, so I'll cut it off here. The other problems have been with the solar system and the black tank flush. I've moved out of it each time and now I'll be homeless for months. I'll be 58 years old in November and I'm living with my mother since I sold my home to live in my brand new RV. Oh My FREAKIN God!!! 😫 Keystone customer service has told me that they only speak to dealers and they're not returning my call concerning this issue. Again, any suggestions would help as I've never been in this kind is predicament before.

Cynstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:06 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Your problems are very unfortunate. I don't have the super solar, so I cannot speak to that issue, however Keystone's Customer Service ABSOLUTELY DOES deal with customers directly. I have a sidewall crack in my 2019 3791RD that I called them about. Emailed pictures and started the paper trail while still under the first year warranty. I had several months wait to get it into a dealer and it has been more than 1 year and still not fixed, but Keystone was very responsive with me about getting the warranty file started. The dealer will need to make the repairs, but I don't want to tackle this one anyway. Too involved for my expertise. Maybe give them another call and see if you can reach a different person.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:34 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Cynstress, sorry to hear about your issues. We also have the Super Solar. I have had some issues, which I expected with cutting edge technology. Chances are your dealer is not well versed in the system. Your best results on the solar will be to contact Matt Wolkins at Future Sales. He is very responsive and knowledgeable. He helped me resolve an issue with our system on a Saturday when we were camped way up in the mountains. As for your other issues, you may want to look at something drastic, such as driving to Goshen and having someone like Infinity do your repairs (like many MOC members do). Unfortunately, not all dealers are created equal. My advice before people buy is to choose their dealer first, then make and floor plan. The two Montana’s we purchased at Leach Camper have never spent a night at the dealer. That’s seven years of ownership. Best of luck getting your issues resolved.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:32 AM   #4
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Sorry to say it, but your problems are typical experiences. Poor workmanship, exacerbated by poor dealership repairs, and even the ability to get warranty repairs in a timely manner, is the norm experienced by many new owners. All I can suggest is that you document every issue and the time it takes to get fixed. Don't make a big deal out of it being your home, as KS may use that against you. If you're not satisfied with repairs, or new and serious issues occur, be a constant reminder to the dealership and KS directly.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #5
John and Barbara
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23309
unfortunately, More of us owners are very unhappy with the way we are treated. When you know more than the dealer and they flat out tell you they don't care and then leave you with dead batteries, parts laying on the kitchen island, forward TV handing out of the cabinet not hooked up, awning not secured and many other things. Then Keystone won't talk to you because you apparently pissed of the dealer off by going off on them. I would gladly join any lawsuit against Thor industries, keystone and the dealers. I think we should have a Rally of Owners with issues and discuss a way of getting their attention. I was in the Gulfport Seabees Base campground and I a fifth wheel owner added the word "SUCKS" to the name. It was so well done that it looked like it was made that way.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #6
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
I am so sorry to read about this. The issues you are having are not small potato's.

We love our MHC 2019 330RL...Lots of good times, BUT, I must admit our rig goes back to Camping World often for all kinds of problems. Every few months honestly. These issues are separate from the ones my husband is able to fix on his own. It is always one thing after another.

Are we impressed with Keystone? Hardly. Are they pretty to look at YES indeed very pleasing to the eyes. The lay-out is great. LOVE our large 2 sink bathroom. But that only goes so far.

This is not our first rig either so we do have other companies to compare with.

Please keep us posted if you can. I am very much interested in how Keystone makes this right for you.
It matters, it really does.
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I had my share of headaches the first year of Montana High Country ownership. I kept a record for the first year, and I had 86 separate issues. Most I fixed myself, but some were beyond me. Not because of skill, but because of the time involved and the lack of tools and time to do the job.

However, after what seems like a total rebuild of my Montana, the second year of ownership nothing happened, that I didn't self-induce. (Like forgetting flip the water heater by-pass back on and burning out the heating element? Or the many bumps and bruises my baby has now from low-hanging trees.

But, after the first year, my "warranty" type issues, stopped. I suppose because I fixed everything myself. My dealership did get the trailer back to replace 2 doors and a wheel hub and brakes though.

I know it's too late for you now, but I have always advised anxious full-timers to NOT immediately purchase a camper, sell the house, and hit the road all at once. I have always advised owning the camper for at least one year before taking it on the road for a full time experience. Why? For the very reason you are experiencing. Things get un-earthed in the first year of ownership that will require lots of repair, fixing, tweeking, and adjusting. It's much easier to do all of that in your own driveway than on the side of a road. After 1 year, (most) of the bugs should be flushed out and fixed. Plus you've had time to adjust to the camper, make minor modifications, like hanging hooks or dividers in cabinets or drawers, to make the camper uniquely your own. It's much harder to do some of this stuff while actually on the road.

I have no comment about Keystone. I'm on my 3rd Keystone camper, and a Dutchmen Sport before they sold out to Thor Industries. I've never dealt directly with Keystone, I've always worked through my local dealer. The good thing about living in central Indiana, is the fact we are surrounded by RV dealerships, and all of them have a subtle competition going on. So their customer service works a little harder to please their customers because they KNOW if the customer is not happy, there are enough other dealerships they'll be taking their "next" business to.

Now about Camping World ... at least the one in Greenwood, Indiana appears to be decent. I've not heard too many complaints about them. I suppose, even there, they work harder because they know competition is all around them.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #8
Cynstress

M.O.C. #28155
Keystone only spoke to me after I made a huge deal on customer service. The one time I did get in touch with them, they told me they do not talk to customers, only dealers. The next few times I tried to contact them, there was no response. I could've waited on hold for the 13 people ahead of me, but I chose to leave a message. Email correspondence is not responded to either until I made a crap storm on social media. I'm glad you had good response, but that's not been my experience
Old 09-10-2021, 09:30 AM   #9
Cynstress

M.O.C. #28155
Thank you for your wisdom. Unfortunately, experience is something you get just after you need it. I would definitely agree that I put the cart before the horse. I knew there would be problems, I just didn't think I'd have to take it back in three times for the same issue. Then, I didn't know there'd be this catastrophic issue in the first few months. At least I was smart enough to not leave my support system before the shake down period was over. When this is done, I'm finding a different source for warranty work.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #10
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynstress View Post
Keystone only spoke to me after I made a huge deal on customer service. The one time I did get in touch with them, they told me they do not talk to customers, only dealers. The next few times I tried to contact them, there was no response. I could've waited on hold for the 13 people ahead of me, but I chose to leave a message. Email correspondence is not responded to either until I made a crap storm on social media. I'm glad you had good response, but that's not been my experience
Maybe Keystone should start talking to customers, cause that's who's buying the junk they're producing.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #11
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
When buying one of these units DEALER SELECTION should have priority over anything else. I bought 3 Montana fivers from one dealer and he wouldn't deliver your unit to you before his crew had hooked everything up and checked it for 3 days to make sure no leaks and everything working. Mine even had a full tub of ice made and ready to go. He didn't expect payment until you did your PDI and were satisfied not even a deposit. A reputable dealer doesn't snatch the money and throw you to the wolves!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:12 AM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
WeBeFulltime is correct. I can sell for much cheaper if I don’t need certified RV techs. The customer suffers. Keystone is making the same number of RV’s today as they did in 2015, per Sam Lengerich at the rally. When you talk to Sam or the Montana team, you can see their passion to put out a good product and satisfy the customer. They are working to improve dealers. I see an endless stream of people that contact Keystone. Are you phoning Ford, GM and Ram direct? And the OP has been contacted by Keystone. If you’ve ever had a house built, you’ve gone through punch lists. And houses aren’t flying down the road at 65 mph +.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #13
Cynstress

M.O.C. #28155
Thanks. I thought I'd done my homework, but apparently not. What dealer did you buy from?
Old 09-12-2021, 12:01 PM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We purchased from Leach Camper along with a number of other MOC members. We could find lower prices, but not better service. We did three days on our PDI. They gave us the key to the gate and shop so we could come and go and sleep in our unit. Two of us got Super Solar the same week. Leach (Council Bluffs, Iowa) is 500 miles from our house. We schedule service for when we drive thru on I80. Take it in at 8, drive out when it’s done. We have also had issues while driving thru the area, popped in and they fixed it while we waited. Family owned and run. Same service manager for longer than we’ve been doing business with them. Ed’s name is on the building and he prides himself on how his people service the customer. Sorry for your issues, but I PM’d you some contact info.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:34 PM   #15
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
We just took or 15 out ..drove 220 miles to the first stop..BIG SLIDE BROKE AGAIN.. DROVE BACK HOME..1 BEDROOM SLIDE BROKE. BIG SLIDE NoW TWICE! BLACK WATER TANK, REAR LEAF SPRING BOLTS! NEVER WILL I
BUY ANOTHER THOR PRODUCT. I HAVE GOT TO DUMP THIS POS!!!! THEY STEAL YOUR MONEY, AND THEN THEY DONT WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU..IM SO SORRY I BOUGHT THIS.. NOW THE WIFE HATES IT TOO..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #16
jefftracie

M.O.C. #23052
So that makes that makes it ok

I’m not sure why anybody buys new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
WeBeFulltime is correct. I can sell for much cheaper if I don’t need certified RV techs. The customer suffers. Keystone is making the same number of RV’s today as they did in 2015, per Sam Lengerich at the rally. When you talk to Sam or the Montana team, you can see their passion to put out a good product and satisfy the customer. They are working to improve dealers. I see an endless stream of people that contact Keystone. Are you phoning Ford, GM and Ram direct? And the OP has been contacted by Keystone. If you’ve ever had a house built, you’ve gone through punch lists. And houses aren’t flying down the road at 65 mph +.
jefftracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:57 PM   #17
Lcwl
Established Member

M.O.C. #22128
Sorry to here of your problem. I know how you feel mine was in the shop off and on for the first six months. I finally got a service rep to meet me at the dealer where I purchase it to go over all that I had wrong. After making the list(which a lot was caused by the dealer) we both agreed to give dealer one more chance. He said if that don’t get things fixed that if I would bring it to Goshen they would take care of it at their service center. As you can expect, it didn’t get fixed.
I timed it with the fall rally and got there two weeks before the rally. The service rep and two tech that did the work got a lot done but wasn’t finished by the rally so they let me take it and bring it back after the rally was over. It took them another week to finish it. During this time they took good care of me and my wife.

When I left there they told me if I had any issue to bring it back and they would take care of it. Long story short I had one or two issue that came back during the year and when I came back to the fall rally they fixed them and a few touch up that needed to be done.

I would like to thank Steve Holmes, Michelle Diaz, Darrel Turner , Brent Giggy, and the two service technicians that made a dissatisfied customer into a proud Montana owner.

Can’t say so much about the dealer!

Keep calling the customer service center they will help you if you can’t get it fixed in a timely manner at the dealer.
Lcwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:19 PM   #18
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
That's very unfortunate. No one should have these types of issues with a brand new unit. And why it takes so long to get these things fixed is beyond me. Imagine if automobiles were treated in the same fashion.

Only thing constructive I have to say is your situation is exactly why I always fill up the fresh water tank and use the pump instead of hooking up to city water. Doing it this way you can tell instantly if there's a leak because the pump will run with no one using water
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:20 PM   #19
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
I'm sorry to hear this. You absolutely need a good dealer and it helps to know the service manager. I've never had a trailer that didn't have something that needed addressing in and out of warranty. Maybe I've just come to expect that and am used to it. I've had good experiences with my dealer (CW of Draper) and Keystone with fixing my sidewall flex. It does take awhile to get it done because our CW is super backed up. You really want that plywood replaced so you don't get mold growth which could happen if you can't get it dry. I'm not familiar with the solar flex package, but was thinking of trading my 3820FK in so we could upgrade to it. Is it problematic?
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:46 PM   #20
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
In 2016 My 1ST EXPERIENCE

My Montana spent its first year in the shop. It was never completely fixed and I let them wear me down leaving several items unworking to be fixed by paying others. I went through 3 Keystone Dealers originally General RV the selling dealer who was worthless. Keystone actually assigned me my own rep to expedite the repair to no avail. Hope your luck is better than mine.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor damage, flooring replacement, water leak