Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2021, 03:44 PM   #9
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I would seek the opinions from some of the OPs on here that are much more experienced than I... but to me tape over the Darco is a total waste and a stop gap repair at best. if it evens holds...

UHMW can be bought in various sizes and thicknesses... I opted for the the .0125 thick stuff because I wanted the least amount of vertical height deflection when slide out ramps up on the wear bars...

I also wanted black to try and blend the repair in better with the Darco fabric.. I ordered a piece that was 12"x36"x .0125 and ripped it into four equal strips (minus saw blade kerf cut)... This stuff cuts like butter and does not melt like plastic would...

The bevel angle I cut on the leading edge was done with a miter saw and it cut as smooth as glass...

I drilled the initial attach screw holes and counter sunk on the work bench and then temp installed to see if the concept would work

After successful test I then removed strip and drilled additional holes and counter sunk them on the bench... Really would be a bear to do the additional countersinking with strip attached and working upside down...

anyways ... you have some thoughts to work out and perhaps others with ten times my ability and experience will chime in and you can get a really good repair action plan....

Please post whatever your final results and decisions turned out to be .. it will help others down the road when they have the same issues with the Darco
Chuck, this is great information. I have the same issue. My big slide is on rollers. The smaller slides do not have rollers. They are electric cable pull. I am just starting to see wear and expect the Darco will start to shred like yours did at some point down the road. Your repair material makes sense and probably will take lubricants better as well. I try to keep my wear areas lubed to help reduce the wear, which seems to be working. You mentioned on your next repair you will try to have the bevel at 17 degrees? Might that be a little to sharp an angle and risk damaging the front edge of the bevel from being too thin? Just wondered. Sounds like this material is on the soft side rather than being somewhat brittle ? Just picking your brain. Thanks!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote