Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2022, 01:21 PM   #1
Csmoreau
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29160
tankless water heater

My tankless waterheater runs on 12 volt but my husband says tthere i nowhere on our 3750fl Montana to hook it up. Please any suggestions will help.

Cindy

Csmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:37 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Csmoreau - what year model is your camper?
Not sure I understand the question.
Did the tankless water heater quit working? or are you trying to install a new tankless to replace your old water heater?
It runs off of the 12 volt system and there is a 15 amp blade fuse for it in the fuse panel.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:15 PM   #3
Csmoreau
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29160
Oops thought I did, it’s a 2011 5th wheel. New tankless water heater and husband can’t figure out how to hook up the 12 volt part. I know it’s a crazy question but need to figure it out
Old 02-09-2022, 06:05 PM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I don’t know how to provide a link to a thread from my iPad- but search for a thread titled “on demand water heater error code E6” from Sep 2021.
I posted some pics of my install - but I was replacing a suburban IW60 with a new IW60 - so it was plug and play…water lines, gas line and electrical harness fit perfectly.

Your old water heater will have water pipes, gas and wires. You will probably have to jeri-rig the water and gas connections to fit the new heater ports. You will have hot, ground and control wires. The controller for your old heater may not work the new heater. They sell the controllers separate. You may be able to use the old control wiring. I have never done the swap you are doing so I can’t advise you for the precise wires. But you can watch the YouTube videos and learn a lot.

Take pics of your situation and post more questions. Lots of smart folks her that can help.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:16 PM   #5
Csmoreau
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29160
Thank you
Old 02-09-2022, 06:17 PM   #6
Csmoreau
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29160
I’ll post pics and share what’s going on, I agree lots of people here that are helpful
Old 02-09-2022, 07:19 PM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Also - what brand tankless water heater are you installing?
Old 02-09-2022, 08:24 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I don’t know how to provide a link to a thread from my iPad- but search for a thread titled “on demand water heater error code E6” from Sep 2021.....
That would be this Thread:
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=85412

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:25 PM   #9
Csmoreau
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29160
Fogatti tankless water heater
Old 02-10-2022, 05:46 AM   #10
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
There is an excellent installation video on the Fogatti water heater page on etrailer.com. He describes the wires for you to look for that powered your old water heater…12V power and ground. You may be able to use the old controller wires to hook up your new controller. It looks like the new controller was included in your box.

Here is the video...

The fogatti is different from my Suburban in that you have to install a pressure relief valve which is not included in your box. Etrailer sells the proper fittings and the pressure relief valve, or you can go to Home Depot and find that stuff. Buying thru etrailer seems like less brain damage for me - so I would push the easy button and buy from them. The valve has a hose that needs to drain on the ground so you may have to find or drill a hole thru the floor and coroplast to route the drain hose down.

I also found the instruction manual for the fogatti. It shows additional valves to be installed for winterizing/blowing out the water. The etrailer video does not show this step, but it is something you can do in the future if you want. I put my winterizing valves install off for a future project.

You will need to buy the screws needed to attach the cover door frame to the water heater as they are not included in your box.

My suburban had small steel angles welded to the case for securing the water heater to the floor. The fogatti does not have these - maybe because the outside door frame is strong enough to hold it firmly in place. You can always add some angles to steady the back side of the heater if you think it needs them.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #11
Csmoreau
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29160
Omg thank you