Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2024, 09:33 PM   #1
BAM5

M.O.C. #34318
Lightbulb Help me before i set it on fire!!!!

I have Montana Big sky I believe it's a 1999. My plug-ins aren't working I changed the GFI main plug. Half of them worked then they stopped and only my GFI PLUG WORKS. My main vent fan is stripped and wouldn't shut off so I disconnected it, was wondering if there are replacement parts. can you tell me what circuit b breakers should be used what amps?

BAM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:04 AM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Welcome aboard! Hopefully we can help get past the frustrations. Do you have the trailer plugged into a GFI outlet? If so try a non-GFI outlet. Sometimes the GFI's in the trailer don't play nicely when the main source is also GFI.

What's stripped on the vent fan? The fan blade shaft? A little Google research should find you some parts or a full vent replacement.

I'm not sure where you'd find the breakers on a 1999. Hopefully someone can point us in the right direction.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 12:06 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Welcome to the MOC!!!

OK, it sounds like you have a number of problems/issues. Let's try to break them down a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamschopshop@gmail.com View Post
I have Montana Big sky I believe it's a 1999.
The model number would help figure out your floor plan which may aid in a resolution. A 1999 seems to be kinda old for a Big Sky. The first I recall was 2002 but it could have een earlier.
Quote:
My plug-ins aren't working I changed the GFI main plug. Half of them worked then they stopped and only my GFI PLUG WORKS.
Can you expand on this? Were all the plugs non-functional or just the ones on the GFCI circuit? You then changed the GFCI (was it in the bathroom?) and half of the GFCCI controlled plugs worked for a bit. Now only the GFCI plug works and none of the other GFCI circuits? Is this correct?
If yes, there is power to the main GFCI outlet. Use a VOM to ensure there is power to the downstream circuit. You then have to trace where the next GFCI outlet is located. Usually the bathroom is the main GFCI and it goes to the bedroom side. The basement GFCI outlet, the exterior outlet and the kitchen outlet can appear in any order. Pulling all the GFCIs to check the power in and out is required. A toner to follow the wiring helps a lot.

How about the non-GFCI plugs. Do they work? Or are they all dead too?

Quote:
My main vent fan is stripped and wouldn't shut off so I disconnected it, was wondering if there are replacement parts.
Is the vent lid lift that is stripped? There are replacement parts assuming you can find the Manufacturer name and model. It is on the fan assembly. As old as this RV is you may be easier to just replace it with a new one. The opening is a standard size

Quote:
can you tell me what circuit b breakers should be used what amps?
The 120V AC side uses 15 and 20 breakers. 20 amp CBs are used for A./C and washer/dryers (perhaps a microwave?)
The 12V DC side is pretty much 15 amp fuses.
Do you have pictures of the power center with CBs and fuses?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:22 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
A picture of your main circuit breakers would help also. Up to around 2002/2003 they used a 30 amp single pole breaker and a 20 single pole breaker for the two legs of the 50 amp service. Then they changed to a 50 amp two pole linked breaker for the 50 amp service.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 09:52 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You have Carl and Bill on this two of the best. They will solve your problems.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 08:23 PM   #6
BAM5

M.O.C. #34318
I will be at the camp ground this weekend i will get pictures to show you you have know idea how happy i am to find this help!!!!!!!!!!
BAM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 12:56 PM   #7
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
I'm asking on this thread in the hope that one of you who's already posted a response to the OP can answer me quickly:

I have a 2002 3670RL. There are three slides--one of which contains a kitchen-ish counter, a microwave above the counter, and a light fixture above the counter. The light fixture is not one of the plastic ones which I think can be powered by the battery--it's nice, with a glass cover and a push-on switch on the side. I know the 2002 models are weird, electrically--does anyone know whether power to this light fixture, in the slide above the counter next to the microwave, would be shut off with a breaker, or shut off by pulling a fuse?
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 02:01 PM   #8
ScottnSue
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31539
Quote:
Originally Posted by newowneroldmontana View Post
I'm asking on this thread in the hope that one of you who's already posted a response to the OP can answer me quickly:

I have a 2002 3670RL. There are three slides--one of which contains a kitchen-ish counter, a microwave above the counter, and a light fixture above the counter. The light fixture is not one of the plastic ones which I think can be powered by the battery--it's nice, with a glass cover and a push-on switch on the side. I know the 2002 models are weird, electrically--does anyone know whether power to this light fixture, in the slide above the counter next to the microwave, would be shut off with a breaker, or shut off by pulling a fuse?
If it's 12 volt, then it will be a fuse.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:11 PM   #9
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottnSue View Post
If it's 12 volt, then it will be a fuse.
Thank you for your response. How can I tell whether or not it's 12 volt?
Old 05-20-2024, 02:39 PM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
To be sure you need to remove the glass cover and check the bulb. It should have the voltage marked on it.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:46 PM   #11
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
To be sure you need to remove the glass cover and check the bulb. It should have the voltage marked on it.
Okay, thank you!
Old 05-20-2024, 03:21 PM   #12
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Quote:
Originally Posted by newowneroldmontana View Post
This is a screen shot of your 2002 model from a sales video. The light I circled looks to be a 110v light to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	17160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	17161  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 04:12 PM   #13
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
This is a screen shot of your 2002 model from a sales video. The light I circled looks to be a 110v light to me.
Thank you so much! Yes, that's exactly my camper, and exactly the light I'm talking about.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:30 PM   #14
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Just disconnect from 30/50 amp connection and if it still works it is 12V.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 04:48 PM   #15
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Just disconnect from 30/50 amp connection and if it still works it is 12V.
Thanks-- but I'm pretty sure it's a 110 volt. I'm trying to avoid shutting everything down right now, even for a little bit, because my electricity situation is precarious and I don't want to screw anything up by messing with it. I need the air conditioner if I'm going to be in my camper right now. My breakers are rather cryptically labeled, but I think I can figure out which breaker goes to the light without having to mess with the air conditioner.
Old 05-27-2024, 06:42 PM   #16
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Yup, that light is a 110 volt. I had thought the problem would not recur--but today it suddenly did-- --started flipping breakers--problem solved. Thanks again, everyone.
Old 05-27-2024, 08:33 PM   #17
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
what was the problem with your light? I have the exact same model of fixture. If I don't use the switch regularly it wants to stop working. I press it a bunch of times then it acts normal. I think I probably should replace it because there must be something not quite right but as long as I use it regularly it's fine.
brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:53 AM   #18
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycesteiner View Post
what was the problem with your light? I have the exact same model of fixture. If I don't use the switch regularly it wants to stop working. I press it a bunch of times then it acts normal. I think I probably should replace it because there must be something not quite right but as long as I use it regularly it's fine.
Recently the light has started turning on on its own, and there's been a burning smell. It looks like there's been a little bit of fire within the glass covering of the fixture.
Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM   #19
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Those little pushbutton switches on those 120 vac fixtures are not high quality. Mine started acting up and I replaced the switch and it worked fine afterward. Same with my 12 vdc light fixtures.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM   #20
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Those little pushbutton switches on those 120 vac fixtures are not high quality. Mine started acting up and I replaced the switch and it worked fine afterward. Same with my 12 vdc light fixtures.
I think I'll do that, too, or just replace the whole fixture. At this point I think it'd really be a good idea for me to check the whole electrical system on my rig--lotta glitches happening lately.